Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crocdoc, what is that rack wall made out of? I was just thinking it must be fairly robust to withstand the wear and tear of a lacey, plus the weight of a lacey on one of the ledges.

Daniel

looking good guys, anybody keep there adult spencers indoors

It can be hard to provide enough space indoors depending on the size of the lizard. This one for example is a little too big to be kept in a plastic tub :lol:

Attachments

• spencers.jpg
    spencers.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 5,074
male or female?..

Have you got any close-up side shots are your monitor's head? From the looks of that first photo, it may be 'her' enclosure rather than 'his'.

Hey mate!..really?..awww i really really whanted a male!!..when i recieved him from URS it had a male symbol on the bag tho!,also for his age it is very curious,not shy at all and allows me to lift it up and stroke it sumtimes,and has no fear really,he ventures out the cage for a bit and go's walk abouts where i follow him around half the unit haha then it struts back to its enclosure,and half the time it doesnt even sleep in its hide-hole he sleeps just outside of it,ahaha..only when it gets really cold it sleeps inside of it ( this is not due to the hide hole being to small or becuase its not hidden enough),just for sum reason it just sleeps outside of it on the ledge or sleeps in it with half his body hanging out and it doesnt seem to mind sleeping like that...so i took those characteristics and thought well it is probably a male...i have one sort of close up pic of her/him..its a bit old!when it was a bit younger!..so these r the piks..but ill get another close up one of him today or tonight now that he is a bit older.
cheers
seano

Attachments

• aniaholdin2.jpg
    aniaholdin2.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 765
  • noosaonmesh.jpg
    noosaonmesh.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 700
Just a sample from my mob from some recent photo sessions for my book
GESvaranusbrevicauda161LAVcopy.jpg

GESvaranusstorrimMS335copy.jpg

Varanuscaudolineatus1.jpg

49-54.jpg

GESvaranusbushiDB428copy3.jpg

GESvaranusacanthurusWA1_copy_copy.jpg

GESvaranusrosenbergiALB32copy2.jpg

GESvaranusscalarismALM295copy2.jpg

gillwa.jpg

GESvaranusttristismWDH343copy2.jpg

Sean, if you have a more recent close up of the head (side view) I may have a better idea.

For those who asked, the enclosure is 2.4 x 2.4 x 1.2 metres. On the small side for lacies, in my opinion, but the extra surface area of the rock 'cliff' makes up for this a bit.

The mock rock was done by me and it is made out of polyurethane elastomers. It's very tough.

Danny, they aren't all aussie animals are they?

edit, just went to your site, they are just different scietific name sto what i was used to..

Last edited:
For our mangrove pair I converted an old python enclosure. The challenge with aquatic monitors is that they need a moist environment and somewhere to swim. The enclosure therefore needs to be pretty much waterproof.

This old enclosure is made of MDF melamine with under tile heating. It got three coats of marine grade varnish. You can see it the last photo that it also got a "disco" finish with a bit of glitter mixed in with the second coat of varnish.

I also added a 150 watt Aussie Sun MVB with light cage. (From the Herp Shop of course) There are two 20 watt florescent tubes, one a NEC black light and the other your basic daylight tube. You cannot quite see these but their light cages are high at the back and fold down to make changing the tubes easy.

The marine grade varnish is adequate and I would go that way again.

The pool is a 20 litre tub from Bunning's which sits in a frame and is heated by a 150 watt aquarium heater. The water gets changed once per week.

Dimensions are about 2000 x 600 x 300 mm internal. It is not big enough for adults but pretty reasonable for the time being for the young pair that I have. It will probably last them another year. They are doing very well in there currently.

The substrate is sand (with a mix of colourful little pebbles, again from Bunning's. I have a range of nooks and crannies for them to hide in around the enclosure and they seem to use most of them.

Attachments

• mm2.jpg
    mm2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 995
  • mm3.jpg
    mm3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • mm1.jpg
    mm1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 907
  • mm4.jpg
    mm4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 998
Few more.

Attachments

• P6210149.jpg
    P6210149.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 385
  • P6210154.jpg
    P6210154.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 364
  • P6210156.jpg
    P6210156.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 358
  • P7090172.jpg
    P7090172.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 347
oh wow herptrader, they look amazing!
how old are they now? every time i see them i think damn i'm gonna get some, then i think mitchells are far more in my price range and size :( but i still wish!!

their enclosure looks good to!
well done :)

About a year but those pics were taken a couple of months back and have grown quite a bit since. They are both coming up for a slough so not at their most photogenic this week.

I am hoping they have a lot of settling to go. They are more comfortable with our presence now but are well short of feeding from our hands. I think they will get there if we remain patient.

oh wow herptrader, they look amazing!
how old are they now? every time i see them i think damn i'm gonna get some, then i think mitchells are far more in my price range and size :( but i still wish!!

their enclosure looks good to!
well done :)

My Goulds

Attachments

• Goulds.jpg
    Goulds.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,631
  • Goulds 2.jpg
    Goulds 2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,410
anybody got pics of adult spencers

attachment.php

This is my big male the tub, he measures out to be approx 635mm SV length (total length would be approx double) and has a mass of 7.5kg(needs to go on a diet). There is a pic of my adult female on the first page, i havnt measured her but she is probably around 400-450 SV(at around the same age). Here is a pic of both together(mobile phone pic).

Attachments

• Image089.jpg
    Image089.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back