Please read before posting in herp help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey no dramas, it happens to all. But I agree completely with this thread in regards to the nastiness, it really needs to stop and I hope people will be able to do that without learning the lesson through infractions. And I think it is also a good idea to look at the age of someone your intending to be snide to, I’ve seen some not very nice comments to people who are 12, 13, 14 years old and I think of how it must feel for them when they are still learning, to have people be rather cruel to them. Although a lot of people do make mistakes -and yes there are mistakes made which could have been avoided easily- good advice can only be shared with maturity. It’s not just the advice you give but how you give it, even if you have to bite your tongue.
Well said AMY22

Hey no dramas, it happens to all. But I agree completely with this thread in regards to the nastiness, it really needs to stop and I hope people will be able to do that without learning the lesson through infractions. And I think it is also a good idea to look at the age of someone your intending to be snide to, I’ve seen some not very nice comments to people who are 12, 13, 14 years old and I think of how it must feel for them when they are still learning, to have people be rather cruel to them. Although a lot of people do make mistakes -and yes there are mistakes made which could have been avoided easily- good advice can only be shared with maturity. It’s not just the advice you give but how you give it, even if you have to bite your tongue.

excellent post amy :D and I totally agree.. no matter how many years we have been keeping and breeding reptiles theres always new things to learn and no one knows it all. so it would be great if everyone was friendlier and more tolerant of each other, especially of the younger kids...

we should all look to help each other if and when we can rather than criticise..

I agree, I have been here for 2 weeks, I am always getting friendly help and so far have not come across someone that has treated me like an idiot just because I got my first snake and am learning. And these people who do treat others like this need to remember they where new once too. Just like when your driving your car and you get held up by a Learner Driver, you were a learner once too!! And yes proper English, not all of us are up with the lingo

Also must add that this is the first snake forum I came across and have not even bothered looking for another one cos I have found this site welcoming and very helpful. You guys are doing a great job and need some applause for what you do. As I am on the 3:30pm to 12:00am shift at work its not always easy for me to go see someone for advice, help or just a chat above what we love (also I dont know anyone who has a snake). :D:D:DGREAT WORK guys keep it up, never think that your hard work goes unnoticed.:D:D:D:D

i totally agree i tried to get help as i am a newb and most of the people on here told me i shouldnt own reptiles for asking a question. im sorry im not perfect but who is. Its good to see that some one is doing something about it. good job admin.

Slateman.......... absolutely agreed, and about time!!!!!! Well done, and good on ya!

And if English is your THIRD language, then you are doing really well, it's one of the worst languages to learn!

Good on ya Slateman, the only dumb question is the one not asked.

We are reinforcing this new approach for some time now, and thanks to our moderators Fay and Colin being strict on this subject, Herp help forum is working for people well.

Well said Slateman and everyone that agrees with helping all people.

If the question is never asked, there will never be a answer. Right!

It's important for every one to be able to ask for advice about whatever, regardless of how long you have been keeping reptiles - CHEERS!

It is good to encourage a more tolerant approach.

What also should be encouraged is the use of the search facility first. There are lot of new threads started that are just a repeat of previous ones.

Example: The my herp is not feeding thread. This topic has been covered many, many times for a number of species. I understand the inexperienced keeper just wants to know so asks- but a search on this topic will generally provide a great amount of information from previous threads.

Maybe the first ten or twenty member posts a new member submits could be moderated before appearing. Would there be a problem in gently steering the poster to a prevous thread or sticky on the same topic.

Just some random thoughts.
Octane

Last edited:
If you have no helpful advice to post here, stay out and don't post in this (herp help) forum.
From now on we will issue infractions to people posting non helpful rubbish in this (herp help) forum

bump

now we can have the subjects actually talked about without getting off subject about someones critizing opinion!
thanks Ian

dw slateman my first and only language is english and my spelling is shocking :)

Good idea Admin,im only 9 but i haven't been critazized(spelling)+im only new and all the advice ive got is very helpful,after all im just learning every day.

with you

i totally agree i tried to get help as i am a newb and most of the people on here told me i shouldnt own reptiles for asking a question. im sorry im not perfect but who is. Its good to see that some one is doing something about it. good job admin.
I am a newb as well and even though the person I have delt with is friendly I am a bit worried about asking questions as I have read some rude posts

I just like to remind to you posters that this topic is about HERP HELP forum only.

Just a friendly bump. There's been a lot of off topic posting in Herp Help recently which goes against what this forum is here for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back