Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thread Gordo.
I have just updated my camera and want to get back into wildlife photography and herps are top of the list.
Might even see you out there one day:)

Thanks for the replies folks, I'll continue to flash any finds if the situation requires it ;)

Tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back! Not really equipment but extremely good advice if you do run into trouble.
This I a really important step if people are wanting to go herping safely (ideally you want 2 people or more out in the bush incase you injure yourself) but people must know where you are going. Gordo posted elsewhere the other day about a man that got lost out near Oenpelli, he had been hunting but no one knew exactly where specifically. When he didn't return a search party went out looking for him (he had been on a quad bike), the mans quad bike was found but the man couldn't be found. The search was called off that day after hours searching. The next day they resumed the search to discover that the mans body was found meters from where they had stopped searching the day before, but he had died in the first 24hrs as a result of heat and not enough water.

Is it still possible to find herps during the winter months? I want to start adventuring but not too keen if I'm going to come back cold wet miserable and empty-handed (as in photo-wise)...

I use a flash or artificial light of some kind, can't see it doing any serious harm. And i can't see any other way of doing it... Go for gold i say.

Actually spotlights and flashes can have an effect on our night wildlife but the severity depends on the type of animal and how much it relies on its eyes. this is a quote taken from Steve Wilsons article 'Night life' in Wildlife Australia autumn 2013 vol50 iss1

"The sun produces a bright image on the retina that is orders of magnitude brighter than that produced by a spotlight, so spotlighting should be safe for vertebrates. However, it could compromise their survival. After exposure to bright light, the retinal rods of birds and mammals take 30 to 40 minutes to dark adapt (to achieve their maximal sensitivity so they can detect single photons). A nocturnally hunting bird would therefore be out of action for about an hour after being exposed to a spotlight. That hour could be crucial for its survival or that of its young. The impact of being effectively blinded for up to an hour would have to be judged carefully for each animal, based on knowledge of its natural history and routines." (actually this part of the article was by Jack Pettigrew

I'm not saying don't use torches or the flash on your camera, i still do, just be aware and try to avoid shining in the eyes of animals that use their eyes to hunt or escape predation as you may make them vulnerable for a while.
The article also has some tips on how to search for night wildlife so i have attached a copy

Attachments

• wilson; 2013; night life.pdf
    438.5 KB · Views: 36
sick post! Glad someone had the initiative to write this up! Cheers :D

- - - Updated - - -

sick post! Glad someone had the initiative to write this up! Cheers :D

Just going to do a bit of a revival thread: I Have a n00b question! I'm in rural Newcastle right next to all the wonderful dense national parks! Recently been able to find a TRUCK ton of lizards, goannas, skinks ect, but for years I have never been able to find snakes. As they are at the top of my photographic bucket list, anyone got any extra tips when looking for our slithery friends?

Latest posts

Back