Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are a big no no up here I dont now about down there, this is the only australian lungfish I now of.
I'd be checking up on it if you ever decide to get one.

Well if the americans can keep them there must be some way we can? I have seen a few on aussie sites.

not sure how it works guess have to do a read. amazing fish but your pictured one seems to be a in a fish tank also?

You can actually keep captive bred Australian lungfish. There is at least one breeder in Queensland. All are microchipped before being sold.
Last time I checked they were around the $1000 mark but that was a year or two ago.
Do a quick google search as the breeder used to have a website. Gordon Hides was the name of the breeder. He even bred an albino.

You can't go and catch them to keep but you can still get them.

ah thanks for that butters, yeah it did not add up in my head how americans can keep them but we cant. I will look into this might work with my rays :D

Australian Lungfish

CITES same as arows :( = $$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:
Thats good I didn't now that, I asked some one from DPI a few years ago and they said a big no.
Thanks butters.

Squrtle here is a pic of that book I was talking about last night and a nother one you might be iterested in, I got it when I was 12, and I was looking for it for my mates birthday and only found it on the net for $270 dollars so if you see it cheep any where you want to snap it up.

DSCF2320.jpg

DSCF2319.jpg

I have seen the first book a few times, second one never before looks good, I might have to get into these aquarium books. winters coming bed and book!

Sorry squrtle I didn't realise you could get them I got one on the line once it was about a metre long and it flew out of
the water like a game fish.
You see them in the NorthPine Dam rolling around on top of the water with nice salmon pink bellys.

mm salmon :D You guys are in for a treat with weekend, currently redoing my display tanks, quick run down for anyone keen..

Mangrove jack going into his 6FT again decided against a sump so no need to wait. going to go mangrove jack, 4-5 salmons maybe a GG then upgrade in 2 years time to a larger tank or some other largeish fish I can find that can stand there ground, No weak jardini lol.

Discus tank - going to add roselines, geo branco and re scape the whole tank.

setting up an african tank with heavy plants :)

and HOPEFULLY I will find a red tail catfish !! will be stocking all my tanks this month. Even if I go broke I waited long enough lol.

Misses called us bloody idiots lol :(*

I think its fair 1 year and a bit. rays are also on the list but end of the year I think!

IMG-20120310-00089.jpg

IMG_51961.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

To make up for all the chit chat ;D

It feels like where following each other around.

My misses just shakes her head.
I'm in the middle of building a 3mx3m lace monitor cage, mine have out grown the aivery I have them in and a large
scrub python cage because there out growing theres lol. :D

I used to get head shakes when it was just fish, Misses hates the snakes, she actually refuses to walk into the area of the room they are in gah. all with time.

Sounds like your going to be a busy boy! I hear lace monitors get huge same with scrub pythons, your going to have massive pets ! I am keen to see if a RTC will grow faster then an olive. my test for the year hehe!

Heres a pic of my new lace monitor cage still in progress when its finish i'll put it on the monitor thread I have to change
the mesh to weld mesh it used to be a bird cage.
DSCF2202.jpg

Pretty sure red tail cats are now on the noxious list federally. Doesn't mean you won't be able to find one but be warned if you are caught with one the fines are ridiculous.
Besides they grow far too big for anything but a pool.

My monitors are about 1m at the moment and the scrubies are about 2 1/2m.

A pet shop down the road from me has them in there display pond.

yeah but thats for import, same with GGs and all. pretty sure once the fish is here its fine?

Its not on the list yet also?

Noxious Aquatic Species in Victoria - Department of Primary Industries

Thats the plan, I know a man in India who breeds these guys, rubber stock tubs or a pool from big W with heavy duty lining from bunnings is the way to go down the road. the Big W pool method works wonder, very popular in the states right now. another option I am looking at is plywood tank. many are using this method and building 5000G+ tanks for 1$ a gallon.

Jason thats an amazing enclosure! I cant wait to see it all finish :D

What about a large squat water tank in the poly there geting cheeper now. I wanted to use one of them to make a mini
reef out side on my little beach I made.

Hmm I thought they were added. There is a grey list of species being considered for addition to the noxious list. Must have seen them on there.

Out of curiousity which pet shop Jason?

Don't even bother with a redtail catfish until you actually have their end tank ready to go. Their growth rate is phenomenal. If fed properly and water changes kept up (something like 80% 2-3 times a week) they will outstrip anything you've ever seen before.

As mentioned, the aussie lungs are CITES listed but can be bought captive bred and chipped. My brother has two that are a couple of years old now and are a bit over 2 foot long. They were being legally exported at one point. I know the farm changed hands a couple of years ago and am not sure what's happened since. I do know that the fry are a complete bastard to get feeding and it took a lot of trial and error to successfully captive breed them.

ah thanks for that butters, yeah it did not add up in my head how americans can keep them but we cant. I will look into this might work with my rays :D

Wouldn't put them with rays. They're as blind as and once they get the scent of food will track it down relentlessly. You'll have rays with chunks missing before you know it.

And to whoever said they wanted a pacu - I'm pretty sure they are on the noxious list (Colossoma spp)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back