The Gardeners Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... my number one pick for a native Australian rainforest plant - Alloxylon pinnatum (Dorrigo Waratah) grown on my dads property in Currumbin Valley QLD, along with a few hundred other native rainforest species..

Attachments

• Alloxylon pinnatum.jpg
    Alloxylon pinnatum.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Alloxylon pinnatum 2.jpg
    Alloxylon pinnatum 2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 240
A couple of my orchids
Brushbox Orchid
DSCF2993-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thumb Orchid
DSCF3114.jpg

So many beautiful plants!

Montysrainbow you also have a great eye for artistic balance through pot choice, grouping and species selection. Plus a green thumb for keeping your plants in tip top shape. Rather a rare occurrence in one so young. Consider yourself special.
The same can be said of Jay84 and such creative use of epiphytes and of Jahan and those manificient hanging cacti and cacti flowers in addition to the sculpted rustic corner garden.

Caliherp, Love your broms. Pandanus spiralis is the Screw Palm. It grows well in sandy and loamy soils and while it will grow almost in water, it just needs normal watering. A warm climate is probably the most critical factor.

Kathy
, Strange that the Melaleucas didn't establish. Were they quite large for the size of the pot, as they may have been root boundL Cherry Surpise (a miniature form Acmena smithii lillipilly) is compact and has brillaint new foliage - excellent choice, along with the others. I would be inclined to bury the Bangalow Palm with the root crown above ground, under at least 5 cm of soil to provide better stability for when it grows and is exposed to high winds.

Borntobenude, beautiful plants and I love the health and range of orchids brought into flower by your dad – quite exquisite.

Jason, am sure not sure if you know what the natives plants are. If not, my guess would be Banksia spinulosa, Grevillea 'Robyn Gordon', Banksia serrata, Hibbertia scandens and unknown. The bush orchid I like - Dendrobium linguiforme, small but delightful. Almost forgot the magnificient colour in the Dendrobium (bigibbum) phalaenopsis.

Blue

PS The Wollemi Pine was discovered in a temperate rainforest wilderness area of the Wollemi National Park in New South Wales, in a remote series of narrow, steep-sided sandstone gorges near Lithgow, 150 kilometres north-west of Sydney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the I.D blue. It was on my to do list. here is a few pictures for today.

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0446-1.jpg

IMG_0447-1.jpg

IMG_0445-1.jpg

Heres a cool new pot i got.
IMG_0353.jpg

Loved at 1st sight for this one at the national botanic gardens

Hakea Laurina or Pincushion Plant

Ahh yes - another beaut one from the Proteaceae family. Check out some of the FNQ Proteaceae rainforest species - magnificent foliage and flowers. All plants in the Alloxylon genus (except pinnatum which is NNSW & SEQLD), also Stenocarpus sinuatus, Stenocarpus cryptocarpus, Athertonia diversifolia, Musgravea heterophylla + many more! When I get back to the Gold Coast in November I will endeavour to take photos of what I've planted and post here - if the thread is still running...

Ahh yes - another beaut one from the Proteaceae family. Check out some of the FNQ Proteaceae rainforest species - magnificent foliage and flowers. All plants in the Alloxylon genus (except pinnatum which is NNSW & SEQLD), also Stenocarpus sinuatus, Stenocarpus cryptocarpus, Athertonia diversifolia, Musgravea heterophylla + many more! When I get back to the Gold Coast in November I will endeavour to take photos of what I've planted and post here - if the thread is still running...

Thanks so much for the info Goldie I'll have to google those you've mentioned. I really like the waratah protea's and banksia's for the flowers. Please do grab some pics my sister lives in QC and might get one of the ones you've mentioned for their garden.

I have a feeling this thread won't be closed.

yes its only a bottlebrush but if we have two more hot days in sydney you will see its not the usual
IMG_0869.jpg
IMG_0866.jpg
a new brom and its flower 2 probs
1 I lost the tag
and 2 i can't turn the pics around
IMG_0867.jpg

Chris 1. Those hanging basket s are as good examples, if not better, than I seen of Lamb’s Tail, Chain of Beads and Chain of Bananas.. You should be very proud of them. I used to have stunning specimen of Chain of Hearts (Ceropegia linearis ). That would make a good addition to your collection.
Sarah. I like what you are doing with the aquascaping. You must post again when it matures. What are the plants you are using, if I may ask?
Jason, do you know what species of Nepenthes it is you posted?
Caliherp. Between you and Smithers, I am blown away with the succulents and the broms. I must admit that all my succulents are grown from fallen leaves collected at the local Bunnings nursery section, bar two plants I could not find any leaves of but really liked.
Goldie, I had a special interest in native plants for many years. I have Stenocarpus sinuatus, bought as a young potted planted, that has been in my little rainforest garden for over 15 years. It is the company of a Hymenosporum flavum and Schefflera actinophylla, both grown from seed. I also had a dozen Archontophoenix cunninghamiana grown from seed but only one has survived the competition for water in summer. The four Howea forestiana I grew on from bought seedlings some time ago are almost mature palms now. (I have a dozen plus I grew from seed and potted up a moth or so ago.) I also have several Cordyline plants as understorey, along with Philodendron selloquom, Monstera deliciosa, Schefflera arboricola, Bambusa multiplex and a few other exotics. The non-rainforest equivalent to Alloxylon pinnatum is Ispogon formosus (Rose Cone Flower)... see pic below. Between the Proteacae and the Myrtaceae in particular, there are some exquisite subjects with so much horticultural potential.
Smithers, the Pincushion Hakea is a beautiful shrub/small tree as is. But when in flower, it really is something special. I have some seed if you would like to try your luck. I also have seed from a number of other Hakea species that you are most welcome to. Just send me a PM if you are interested.

Unfortunately I have several thousand dollars worth of broken film camera and equipment. I held off geting it repaired as digital was just coming in. Then I ended up being retired on health grounds and the money for hobbies evaporated. The lids managed to destroy the point and shoot cameras we had and they use use their phones now. I don’t possess a digital phone so I am cameraless into the bargain. I will try and borrow one so that I can atlest contribute something.

Blue

Attachments

• Isopogon formosa - flowers.jpg
    Isopogon formosa - flowers.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 258
Bluetongue1 i'm not sure wich one it is i've had it for years and i've lost the tag.

Thank you blue for the kind words. Im glad someone else besides myself can enjoy my collection. I also pick a leaf off a succulent i like every once in a wile. Some people say its hard to get plantlets to grow from leaves but i have had almost 100% success with growing them from leaves. Just incase anyone wants to know my secret. What i do is when i pick them i let them dry out under my fluorescent bulbs on my enclosures for up to a week. Then i plant them in 1 inch pots. I wator them every other day till they got good growth on them then i slowley decrease watering. Sence i was 5 years old i have had atleast 3 plants at all times. in the past 6 years is when my addiction really started to take off. To give you guys a clue to how much plants i really have, i have atleast 5 plants that are flowering at all times of the year. As you all have seen from my collection i only have plants that flower once a year and some only one time at all. I mainley keep suculents and broms with a few random tropicals. Soon im going to start to build a mini green house for inside so i can grow more high humidity tropicals ill post pictures of my progress when i start. If anyone wants me to write a little bit about my growing conditions let me know. I think it would be informative if we all compare how we grow our plants. Ill do my best to keep this thread alive. Im still not out of plants.

- - - Updated - - -

yes its only a bottlebrush but if we have two more hot days in sydney you will see its not the usual View attachment 264268View attachment 264266a new brom and its flower 2 probs
1 I lost the tag
and 2 i can't turn the pics around View attachment 264267

Nice brom its hard to tell from thoes pictures but do you know if its a Aechmea or a Billbergia? Now that im looking a little closer mabey even a Viresea.

Last edited:
Beautiful plants guys!

Was a lovely day yesterday here in Melbourne so I spent the morning in the garden with the dogs.

Here's one of the orchids in full bloom.

gurybutu.jpg

Nice pics guys. I'm not too familiar with the Orchidaceae family but I love the look of the Brushbox orchid Jason, I'm guessing a native - named after the host plant Lophostemon? Also nice plant Jay - do you know it's origin?
Bluetongue, you're in W.A? Good effort keeping rainforest species over there! I must say, I am a bit envious of the Banksia species you guys have over there - my favourites being Banksia grandis and Banksia coccinea - amazing plants. I spent a small fortune on a grafted Banksia grandis to grow on the east coast, only for it to die a few months after planting. I think it was grafted to B. robur - swamp banksia. The Dryandras are cool too, I believe they've all been reclassified as Banksias in recent years? When I lived in Perth, I consistently saw the best examples of Brachychiton acerifolius that I've ever seen... they seem to thrive and put on the best floral display... one particular specimen planted adjacent to the uni of WA is the best I've ever seen. I can't understand why our local councils aren't planting more natives - particularly here in Melbourne where it's Quercus overkill! or whatever the oak type trees are that dominate the Melbourne streetscape.
Smithers - if your sister lives in QC (Qld central?) there's plently of choices.... I'd suggest Alloxylon flammeum (QLD waratah), or a little known but very nice plant is Barklya syringifolia (don't know common name)... it's endemic to a small catchment in the Logan area (for memory) and has awesome foliage and an abundance of bright yellow flowers. They're a bit slow to establish but they are definite crackers. They're apparently popular street trees in Florida USA, but probably 99.9% of Aussies would never have seen or heard of them. Shame.
Thanks guys

You are correct Goldie – Dryanderas are now Banksias. I had a mate drop by yesterday who is doing landscape re-veg planting and he offered me what ever I wanted of a number of native plants. I grabbed a few small grevilleas, some Yellow anigozanthus and a Banksi prionotes. He also had B. menziesi but I have one growing naturally in the front yard. I know the brachychiton you are referring to – north side of Stirling Hwy in the lawn in front of one of the colleges. An absolute cracker. Whe it has a good flowering year it is stunning. Even as a tree it is a superb specimen. I was considering B. syringifolia (Crown of Gold) but it gets too big and I only had a narrow strip at the side of the house I wanted to have a rainforest appearance. The other one considered was Buckinghamia celsissima. I also had strong interest in a lot of the shrub and herbaceous natives and have grown a lot from cutting over the years - Eremophila, Melaleuca, Thryptomene, Verticordia, Dampiera, Scaevola, Guichenotia, Lechenaultia, Leptospermum, Hyypocalymma, Hibberia etc. I did not keep records so cannot remember them all. Also grew stuff from seed, like dwarf Acacia, Anigozantus, Pittosporum (Orange), Macrozamia riedlei etc. I was member of the Australian Native Plant Society and the local branch was given a shade house to use. I was actually response for developing the housing technique they use with most of their cuttings – top half of a 2L PET bottle placed over a 140 mm squat pot 2/3 full of agricultural grade perlite. A lot of years ago now and I haven’t been a member for probably ten years now. It was good fun though.

Blue

Lady Tankarville's Swamp Orchid (Phaius tankarvillae)
DSCF3176.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

All the Orchid flowers are slowly starting to open.

Everyone is posting some fantastic photos!

My bulb garden is going really well (the ones that survived my gardening dogs (pictured below)). But I've let the grass grow a little too much around them and so they're not photogenic enough.

But I have taken a photo of these flowers from a plant I rescued from my science lab! It was nearly dead when I got it home, and now, in full bloom! I am so proud of how well it's doing now!

Any ideas what it is???

282997_417451558311514_89060979_n.jpg

563148_417451584978178_629265568_n.jpg

My keen gardeners...

546302_417451368311533_1144926081_n.jpg

slim i'm just getting into orchids so i'm not good with i.d's but my first thought was a Phal. Again don't take my word for it succulents are what i'm mainly into. On a side note, I'm paying my mom a quick visit today and i'm going to bring dome extra cuttings over to do a quick lil garden job for her. Ill post pictures later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back