The Gardeners Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithers

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Thought we should start a Gardeners thread on anything gardening.

If you only have a venus fly trap or grow mustard seeds out of a stocking for your kids chuck it in here for all other fellow potterers and plants enthusiasts to enjoy and learn :) Please

Ill start with a weed that grew in my backyard this yr...and one of my favourite flowers

hope that is the only "WEED" u grow, Smithers

sadly, this winter, after 20 years of growing rare, imported exotic species orchids, some imported in partnership with The royal Botannical Gardens, Sydney,, I did not turn on the heat this winter, becausr of the massive heating costs involved....many of these will eventually die

Last edited:
lol I can't confirm that B,...I'd be getting an infraction for supporting illegal (in other states) activities.

Oh crapper I'm dreading the next power bill myself :(

Maybe you could ferry some of the besties around to people you know or hand some out?

Sad when you lost plants after putting hours n hours if not yrs in.

I have a veggie garden I just planted last week, unfortunately living in a rental I was very limited as to where I could put it and it is in full shade so I don't hold high hopes. I also keep many carnivorous plant species but winter has slowed them right down.

I'm teaching teenagers the joys of container planting at the moment... I actually LOVE it... But it's so hard to enthuse teenagers these days unless you dangle the carrot of 'credits' in front of their face!

But as it turns out there's quite a few interested in the asexual propagation for the kalanchoes and chlorophytum. I've even said they can take them home.

We may even try (although it's a plant I loath because of the smell) leaf cuttings of geraniums. I'd do anything to see these kids actually excited about something.

Most of them come from a rural/farming background and all they're interested in is their cows! I bet, when they finally start earning the big dollars they'll want a garden and then maybe... Just maybe they'll remember ol Mr D and his lessons on horticulture.

As for my own garden... My dog does most of the gardening. I had 200 odd tulip, daffys, rununculus blah blah blah.... This year... ONE!!! He dug up 199 bulbs!!! YAAAAAAAAARG!!!

So I am left with my indoor plants... Which I admit I love, but they get poorly treated! Long times between waterings.... I miss my cactuses - so I am thinking (after seeing Kaths thread before) getting back into them. I might even go buy one today :)

I only have a small backyard and rent so most my garden is in pots and raised beds.
I built my own worm farm out of an old wheely bin. It can handle most the household scraps year round except winter time.
I use the castings for my propagating seedlings. Mostly grow chillies, herbs and whatever has self sown out of the worm farm soil.
I have had strawberry, celery, tomato and even an almond tree grow out of the worm farm.
PA280026.jpg

Built this out of a BBQ trolley and wine fridge door for my seedlings, on wheels so I can chase the sun.
IMG_4988.jpg

lol I can't confirm that B,...I'd be getting an infraction for supporting illegal (in other states) activities.
i see you live in canberra , that naughty plant is still illegal to grow in the act , it has only been decriminalised in small personal amounts but if your caught with a commercial quantity you will still be charged , this still means ABSOLUTELY no growing of the stuff and this is a law in every state and territory of Australia

its a common misconception that because personal use has been decriminalised in the ACT that it then started the myth that you could grow one plant for personal use at your house , this is not the case its 100% illegal to grow or to sell it

bluewater, the Wollemi Pine is indeed a fantastic tree, we planted one but unfortunately it didn't take to the cold winters.

I spent most weekends growing up helping my grandparents with their retirement dream to create a mini botanical gardens in acreage. Some of the more interesting plantings are Golden Oak, Cork Oak, Sequoia. The gardening bug has stayed with me but I currently rent so the courtyard is a mess of pots and cuttings :)

P4240012.jpg
P4240009.jpg

The Front Porch

Hopefully these will post:

HangingPlants.jpg
E_BegBonfire.jpg
Vriesealubbersii.jpg
Sarracenia.jpg

From l to r: Misc epiphytes; Begonia 'Bonfire,' Vriesea lubbersii, Sarracenia purpurea.

A few plants in my back yard.

Attachments

• Daisies.jpg
    Daisies.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 313
  • Grevillea juncifolia.jpg
    Grevillea juncifolia.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 334
  • long tail.jpg
    long tail.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 309
  • Parakeelya.jpg
    Parakeelya.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 308
  • Parot pea.jpg
    Parot pea.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Sturts Desert Pea.jpg
    Sturts Desert Pea.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 405
What else do you find in your back yard dan

I only have a few pots with herbs in and hedges go the new house as my two 40 year old fig bansai are looking sick I go pretty sure I posted them no here a couple years back, atleast they would look better than they do now, damn lawn grub and beetles killing everything ATM

Last edited:
Just a taste of images from my collection :/ hoarders here I come.

IMG_0520.jpg

_MG_8846.jpg

Ahh a fan of succulents Smithers?

IMG_0355.jpg

This is at the last place I lived.
My mate is crazy for them, I have cuttings of a lot of his.

Ahh mother of millions and mother-in-laws tongue, such wonderful plants :rolleyes:

Plants are my secret addiction. ill post a few pictures of my collection. more pictures to come soon.
IMG_0119.jpg
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_0354.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts