Groote Eylandt - Some Pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a magical place for sure, don't think i will ever get back there again but the memories i have will last a lifetime. I was lucky enough to get out there in 1979 and also got to fish and camp in the Emerald River area plus places with names i could not pronounce then let alone now, things have certainly changed since then....like back then it took nearly 7 months for us to get a permit to go there and accommodation was nearly non existent, it was camp or nothing unless you were lucky enough to know someone in 1 of the Aboriginal camps, and food was what you took in and catch your own. Now according to a friend that has recently been there for business there is resorts, golf courses, Schools and shock horror shops. When you look at Groote on a map it doesn't look that large, but when the only transport we had was an old 1960 rag top Land rover that overheated every 5 k's that we were lent by the Aboriginal Affairs guy on the Island it is "Huge", In the 3 weeks we were there (that's all our permit allowed) we hardly scratched the surface. I was not really into Reps back then (Arachnids were my bag then) but we seen them everywhere, looking back now i would say that just about every Rep available in the NT was represented there, i did see quite a few Spotted Mac's and i think thats where my love of them started. As i said at the start "a truly magical place" and everyone should at least try and get out there once in there lifetime, sorry Stu don't want to start a stampede but the place is just that good. :) :) .................Ron

Absolutely stunning place. Stu, you lucky so and so!

What a beautiful place. I really need to go on a holiday up north again sometime, but all my free money seems to be disappearing. I suspect it may be linked to all my lizards and the accessories that go with them. :facepalm:

[video=youtube_share;wyOwPZqi6FY]https://youtu.be/wyOwPZqi6FY[/video]

Just a shortish vid of a trip I did a couple of weeks ago. Crap editing and there is some weird bloke giving thumbs up at the start but at least the quality is ok..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back