Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong - home breeders feed minimal amounts too. However home breeders do have a couple of advantages over pet shops IMO for a couple of reasons. First is that pet shops tend to cost a bit more and they do not have the same variety/options. Home breeders you have a whole clutch to pick from. Pet shops have one or two of various species - in the shops I have been in anyway. Lastly, generally speaking home breeders are more knowledgable and can assist more than a pet store employee who may not even keep Herps.

[MENTION=37197]Riffherper[/MENTION]

Basically all the cons you have mentioned is exactly why I have learnt from my mistakes. I got charged heaps. Its a nice looking snake (dont even know locale) but I saw similar at another shop about half the price I paid. I don't even know exactly how old he is. Why I asked the hatch date I got told 5-7months which is a bit vague for my liking. I didn't get told enough info or show how to handle (being a first time owner I thought I would of been more told a little more when purchasing) and they didn't have a great range of species including the species I originally wanted. Don't get me wrong Im glad I got my little guy and but I would more than likely avoid pet shops for future purchases.

I hear you there. At the end of the day as long as you are happy with the snake that's all it comes down to :) I'm sure the bug will bite and you will want more. Most snakes I've bought have been advertised on this site.

I made some mistakes but have learnt from them. Even though I ended up with a completely different species to what I wanted I wouldn't trade him for the world! Being my first snake its kind of like my first love all over again haha

I currently have a container I put my stimsons in to feed with a pillowcase inside. After they have eaten and go inside the pillowcase to hide I lift the pillowcase out and place it inside the enclosure. Leave that in there until they decide to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have a container I put my stimsons in to feed with a pillowcase inside. After they have eaten and go inside the pillowcase to hide I lift the pillowcase out and place it inside the enclosure. Leave that in there until they decide to move on.

Just out of curiosity: why?

To each their own - that just seems like a whole lot of unnecessary work especially for larger collections

Thanks guys! I also am new and have read not to handle them after a feed so was confused about taking him out of his enclosure to feed.

Dangle

Thanks guys! I also am new and have read not to handle them after a feed so was confused about taking him out of his enclosure to feed.

I am very new to snake ownership, but thought I'd add my cents. Breeder said not to dangle the prey to illicit a strike response. Someone previously eluded to this by placing feed down in a tub, but thought I'd add some extra for what it is worth.

[MENTION=40776]Cyberia5658[/MENTION]

First feed completed! I didn't dangle the prey item just let him check it out held it in a spot he could reach and constrict and then his instincts did the rest lol

Don't worry so am I! Only had pinkies though so he smashed em! (Fed him 2 because of small size).

Also can anyone out there explain what "hunting behaviour" would look like generally. I want to make sure my snake is well fed and not still looking for prey.

I am very new to snake ownership, but thought I'd add my cents. Breeder said not to dangle the prey to illicit a strike response. Someone previously eluded to this by placing feed down in a tub, but thought I'd add some extra for what it is worth.

What is the reason for not doing that?

I'm a dangler. One of the many fun/interesting parts of snake ownership. I also find that it makes difficult feeders more likely to strike, constrict, swallow and keep the prey down. Hunting behavior - poking head around different parts of enclosure, getting in a strike pose, shaking/shivering whilst in a strike pose, striking at moving objects as well as behavior which may in other cases be described as cage defensiveness. Some snakes will display this behavior even when they have been fed a sufficient amount. It's therefore best to know what size and how often to feed. As I said earlier, at this age give a prey item large enough to leave a small bump and feed every 5 - 7 days.

I dangle too. I try to mimic life but normally my darwin is on it before I can really make it look alive. When she latches on I pull it a little just to make things interesting for her :)

Iv'e also ALWAYS fed her in the tank aswell, and she can tell the difference between my hands and food. I don't personally like the idea of having to move her back to the enclosure with a gut full of big rat. Feeding inside or outside it's up to you and I don't think it makes too much of a difference. :)

Really wish you would just stop with the idiotic responses. I don't have to explain myself to you but I guess I will. When I say I pull it a JUST A TINY BIT to imitate a struggle. I don't go ripping out out of her mouth.

-_- you just love to argue so guess I'll just leave it there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back