Advice on spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zozo93

Reaction score
OK this maybe a stupid question but I recently got a spotted python (my first ever snake ) has anybody got any tips to get him more people friendly ? And also how much is over handling ? At the moment I'm handling every day for about 15mins-20 mins (unless he has had a feed or grumpy ) thanks

Since you've recently purchased your spotted python I'd suggest not handling him at all, just so he can settle in for at least a week or two, he'll most likely settle down and able better after he's setteling in period.

I got a Stimson 5 weeks ago also my 1st snake and took a few bites the 1st day then let him settle for a week and he was a completely different snake. now not so much as a strike.
I was told to use a hook when getting him out so he would learn the hook meant he was coming out and not mistake a hand for food. And so he would know I was there and not startle him. Don't know if it makes any difference or not. But I seem to have a very clam snake.

My daughter 11 has been hassling me for a few months for a spotted python.
Which strikes me as odd because she is a freak for the colour yellow. When she saw the high yellow albino in the store she loved it.
However, as we were browsing, she "spotted" a spotted python and hasn't stopped talking about it.
I'd have sworn I'd be up for $700+. Bonus for me as one will only cost me $100 :D
I told her to save $50 and I would put in the rest.
Turns out she has convinced her mother that all she wants for Christmas is a spotted python. She says, "waiting a few months is better than saving".
An agreement was reached where she would have to buy the food to feed it and anything else that her pet needed, bar the initial viv outlay out of her savings.
A good opportunity to instil some responsibility in her I suppose.

Don't over handle. Leave him be for a week. Then handle for short times of about 5 mins then increase the time. Look for signs of stress like elevated breathing or being really flighty. So 5 mins for the first few days then 10 mins etc etc. Also little tiny snakes lose body heat pretty quickly. So put him back when he gets a bit cold. Atm I handle my stimmy every 2 days for about 10 mins then I put him back for the day.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Don't over handle. Leave him be for a week. Then handle for short times of about 5 mins then increase the time. Look for signs of stress like elevated breathing or being really flighty. So 5 mins for the first few days then 10 mins etc etc. Also little tiny snakes lose body heat pretty quickly. So put him back when he gets a bit cold. Atm I handle my stimmy every 2 days for about 10 mins then I put him back for the day.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Good advice there. I'm the same with my dragon. Take him out, have a play and when he feels cold, he is placed back in his warm comfy viv :)

All the above is good advice, but don't expect it to be gospel for all snakes, i have 2 spotties from the same clutch and both of them were put into seclusion for 2 weeks and not handled, after the no touch period 1 of them craved handling but the other 1 took about 4 more weeks of regular handling before it stopped equating my fingers for food, now nearlly 2 years on both of them are gr8 handlers and it does not matter if they are hungry, grumpy or shedding they do not ever bite and come out for play time whenever the enclosure is opened. So, take on board all that is told to you here but keep in mind that every snake is an individual and should be treated as such. :) .............................Ron

Alll advice was really helpful thanks guys i now have one happy calm handler most days haha but is getting great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back