Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr-Zoidberg

Reaction score
So I have a frillneck that won't drink from his water bowl ever. I mist him and he drinks from the end of a syringe aswell. I've read that moving water often entices them to drink, does anyone use waterfalls in their enclosures and do you find them to be a better option?

I've read that some won't drink standing water.
If that's the case, offer vegetables that have a high water content.

You can make a simple cheap waterfall by using an air stone inside a small pipe.... bubbles lift the water and keep it heavily oxygenated too
Ancient technology called air lift pumping
First used in Babylon a few thousand years ago

Longqi, it may be beneficial if you were able to be a little more descriptive in the use of the pipe and air stone.
I'm sure others would be thankful

@MrVic I make little spears out of carrot or broccoli and stick them inside his crickets/woodies. I hadn't even thought of him getting fluids that way, thanks

@longqi I'm guessing I stand the pipe upright in a container with the air tube running into the bottom of the pipe with an air stone inside? Then stack rock around the outside of the pipe. I've got a heap of fish tank accessories in the shed I'll play around with that idea.

Thanks for the advise guys

@MrVic I make little spears out of carrot or broccoli and stick them inside his crickets/woodies. I hadn't even thought of him getting fluids that way, thanks

@longqi I'm guessing I stand the pipe upright in a container with the air tube running into the bottom of the pipe with an air stone inside? Then stack rock around the outside of the pipe. I've got a heap of fish tank accessories in the shed I'll play around with that idea.

Thanks for the advise guys

little hints
to increase water flow by a lot use fine air stone
to maximise circulation and aeration put pipe on angle
if you put the air stone inside say a 50mm pipe and then reduce the size to 25mm you can really blast water all over the place

I was generally curious lol. How do you stick the broccoli into the bug? I get the carrot, but broccoli can't be easy haha

I was generally curious lol. How do you stick the broccoli into the bug? I get the carrot, but broccoli can't be easy haha
I use the stem parts as it's a lot easier, not sure what the method was called but I got the idea after reading of people wrapping the skin of a prey item like a frog around mice In order to get wild caught snakes to switch to a diet of rodents. I think it was called cloaking

Misting once or twice a day should be enough. desert species normally drink from the condensation on their body

You can make a simple cheap waterfall by using an air stone inside a small pipe.... bubbles lift the water and keep it heavily oxygenated too
Ancient technology called air lift pumping
First used in Babylon a few thousand years ago
what did they use to pump air through the air stone?

used a bellows to pump air but probably did not use an air stone as we know it
possibly a sea sponge??
Possibly nothing at all

Finer bubbles work better
But the ability to make finer bubbles is fairly recent

Most efficient modern aquaculture farms all use variations of air lifts for several things
good cheap biofiltration circulation and oxygenation to high enable high stocking densities rely on ancient technology
Make extremely efficient sludge pumps too using bigger bubbles

You can also get really small pumps that will fit inside you water bowls which might be easier. Otherwise the stone with air pump sounds like a good idea I haven't tried that before. You can buy stones which put out very fine bubbles from most good aquariums!

Dr zoidberg that was my idea! It came to me after a night of nit being able to sleep. I'm glad it helped someone!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Dr zoidberg that was my idea! It came to me after a night of nit being able to sleep. I'm glad it helped someone!

An epiphany induced by insomnia, is it to much of a burden to ask that you sleep less often, more often? Who knows what other bright ideas you could share. I become a brain dead zombie when over tired, car keys end up in fridge, the milk in the microwave, you get the drift.

Last edited:
Oh man I have been there. Then you have to go out the next day and it's like. Where are my effing keys!? Then you realize you have been holding them for the last hour lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back