Unwanted food.. what to do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyG

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Darn snake not taking the rabbit this month.. what do ya'll do when your pet doesn't take the food? Throw it? It's a rabbit man, they don't come cheap/easy in this state.. grrrr?

If it was thawed quickly, such as in hot water, or has been only out overnight, it should be refrozen immediately. Animals of this size begin and continue to decompose inside the snake's gut for a couple of days anyway, before the digestive juices take over, break through the stomach wall and effectively sterilise it. If it has been out for longer, or in a warm or hot place and has begun to smell, you should probably ditch it. Their digestive systems are not like ours - we chew our food and it is already being broken down by saliva before we swallow it, a snake swallow whole animals in one piece, so decomposition continues for a week or so inside the snake. (Ever smelled a regurgitated rat or rabbit???)

Jamie

Yeah when my snakes dont eat thier dinner I do 1 of 2 things

Give to the other snake. Or I refreeze it right away if its been thawed out wuickly using hot tap water refreezing once will be fine

my bredli has only ever declined food once before.. years ago...

on another note.. how can i tell if she's "hungry"? i fed her on sept 19.. i would have thought her tummy'd be grumbling by now!

What do you do with the rat?

J

I Smack it over the neighbours fence with a cricket bat.

i can see how my post could be misinterpreted, but since the op was asking "what we do with un-eaten snake food" I'd have thought it was easily understood.

Last edited:
It was a joke... but it just sounded like you were going to use the snake as crab bait...

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back