Sudden Loss of Appetite - Seeking Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavrick

Reaction score
Okay, it sucks that it has come to this as usually I hate asking for advice here as I often get a lecture or 'know it all' comments, but I've run out of steam here. Please let it be known that I have kept reptiles since 1994 and while am no expert... I am not a beginner either. That being said, I am open to your ideas for the following problem concerning my Bredli.

I've owned my Bredli for 4 years now and he has been nothing but an enthusiastic feeder that whole time. However, he has now been refusing feeds for 6 weeks. So here is the low down on recent history and what I have tried so far to no avail.

He came out of a very light winter cooling in early September with no issues. I do this as I do not have the money or a house that can handle the higher wattage required to run a summer-ish temp during winter. He has wintered with no issues whatsoever with me for 3 years now. During this 'wintering', he still made his way to his day light, usually in early to late afternoon and had heat each night. Reduced activity is a more accurate description of my 'wintering'. He is not a breeding python.
He fed a week later with his usual vigor.
Refused a feed for the first time a fortnight later, but was dull and in shed so I put it down to that.
He shed successfully the first of October.
Has refused every feed offered since.

He is bright eyed, no discharges, still in great condition. Very active, loves to bask and run laps of his enclosure.

I offer once a fortnight, a rat of 200g+. Usually he is leaping out of the enclosure the moment I open the doors with the rat. Now I am holding it to him for five minutes with nothing but a sniff fest going on.

I have increased the temperature of his hotspot. Certainly increased his activity, but still refusing.
I have warmed the rats up, he is very interested in sniffing them, not eating them.
Left them in the enclosure, more sniffing no action.

I have not yet offered at night, but will be doing so tonight.

This is such a huge change in feeding behaviour and has been perplexing me. I thought upping the temp of the hot spot would increase his appetite as it has still been chilly down here in Adelaide until last week. Again, this was not successful.

I also am aware snakes will go many months absent food without losing condition, but again as this is such a huge change, I am unsure of what is going on. Hints, tips, tricks, ideas, I'm all ears. Happy to answer any other questions regarding history and the conditions he lives in if you need more information. Please, informative replies only.

A four-year-old confirmed male? If so, it's probably hormonal, most mature male Morelias go off food for a few months around breeding time (when they come out of brumation) so if all other apparent health parameters are fine, I wouldn't worry about it for a couple of months. I wouldn't even bother offering food until maybe sometime mid to late December. It's just the way they behave at this time of year, and a few months without feeding won't harm the animal in the slightest.

Jamie

Sold as male (I lack expertise/experience to confirm myself) hatched 2011 season. After posting this and reading some other posts where sexual maturity was mentioned I too am on this road of thought now. He is very active at the moment, more so that usual, roaming about looking for action. It's good to know that it's not uncommon for Morelia to behave in this way, so big thanks for the input in that regard guys. I'll hold off on offering for a month or so and see how I go. In the mean time my Darwin is absolutely loving the extra rat he's been getting!

Always good to have other snakes to offer food to when others refuse dinner!

Oh yes, I almost cry at the thought of having to toss a $16-$20 rat out! For all these years it's been my Bredli who picked up the refusals... amusing how the tables have turned.

Yes unfortunately as a hobby herper with only a very small collection there is no upside cost wise to breeding my own. Plus I love rats, they make awesome pets and I would end up with a hundred pet rats and very hungry snakes.

Bredli breed later in the season to most other Morelia too, so it'll be a hormonal thing.

My 4 yr old Diamond is doing the same thing as your Bredli. Usually never refused food, but the last two months has been pretty active and hasn't been interested in a meal. Will offer something in a couple of weeks, after he is done looking for love.

I can confirm this. My 6 year old male blonde spotted still wont take food. He still sniffs it and all that but then he backs off. Sometimes after backing off he rubs his snout along the floor of his tub. I'm guessing to remove the scent of the rat or quail from his head. I will keep offering every say 2 weeks until he takes what I offer. Obviously if he hasn't taken anything by mid december I will be taking him to the vet and might need to get a culture from his mouth area to eliminate the possibility of any pathogens. I doubt it is anything serious. I don't see him rubbing his face all the time, only sometimes right after refusing a feed. I got this occasionally with my 6yo male woma too so I think its just hormonal.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

My 15 year old spotted hasn't eaten in month. Do sexual hormones affect female feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back