Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zionkeeper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Have a 3yr old childrens python.. This last week hes been really aggravated and restless. Trying to go me through the glass. Not liking being out and handled... when I feed him yesterday was going my hand rather than the mouse...
Any advice as to why he may be like this? Any tips to get him out of it.?
my kids are not liking not handling him. :-(

sometimes my roughie gets like that, but usually only when he cant decide if hes hungry or not
like prof_Moreliarty said, check for mites (if you look closely you should see them) if not he might be having one of those weeks

Hope its just a week. Another link on here is similar and all comments on there suggest hunger. But I fed him yestersay and offered him a second adult mouse and he refused. So im not sure. Will go over him tomorrow for mites. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Is he a male? I've seen (mine, for example) boa males, that when getting close to reproduction time, get very agressive. Maybe on Antaresia happens something similar, just wondering.
Let it digest the mouse, give it a week alone and then try again to approach and see what happens.

Is the food you offer cold?
He may be mistaking your hands for food if your hand is warmer than the prey?

I am a self confessed "know- it-none" :D

The above is a stab in the dark by a blind man ????

Snakes aren't the smartest beings on earth and do get very excited when being fed. In addition to this captive snakes can have extremely poor aim. For these reasons most people feed using tongs. In relation to the aggression, assuming he is being fed adequately, he may just be a grumpy snake. Sometimes you get them. The grumpiest snake I've owned was a children's. Conversely he may feel threatened by you and being acting out of fear. I've also had snakes that are generally calm display similar behavior to this in the couple of days after being fed. As you can see there are many possibilities as to why the snake may be acting this way.

It might be spring time (mating) behaviour. My MD is acting like he's on speed or something, climbing everything and consequently falling off, rubbing himself across the glass backwards and forwards and is a little more feisty when handled.

Thanks for the advice guys. Only having had him for 7 odd months I feel so new at this. Haha. Im gunna go with the spring time thing... just keep an eye on him.
Haha I do feed him with tongs.. was going past the mouse and up the tongs at me. Silly lil boy.

No I heat it to a lil above room temp. Old hot cup of water trick. Haha. Checked for mites... none that I can see.

I use an old Moccona coffee jar that I wrap the food in plastic, fill with hot water, dunk the food until it's slightly warm, dry it off if the bag leaks then offer it to Bob and Sapphire who gladly smash their food.

Hope he settles for you and the kids

I'm going to venture on the hormones as well. I have some female BHP's that are normally puppy dog tame and with cycling starting they have become very moody lol.

There are plenty of explanations that have already been offered, but I thought I'd throw an extra possibility in. In the past I've dealt with snakes that are generally puppy dog tame, but get a bit moody just before a shed. Have you tried using a snake hook to get him out? A lot of the time they'll calm down once they're out of the enclosure.

Yeah thanks everyone. Ive upped his feed and had him out a few times since. The crankiness only lasted a couple of days. He seems fine again now. Tame enough for my kids to handle him again. Haha Thanks for all the helpful suggestions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back