Brisbane reptile keepers - Looking for a snakesitter for 2 weeks for my Jungle Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleLover

Reaction score
Hi there :)

I live on the Southside of Brisbane and am going away overseas for 2 weeks from the 30th of December to the 15th of January and I am in need of a snake sitter for my 7 year old very friendly Jungle Python.

I need someone responsible and experienced to house him for the time I am away, at their house, clean up after him and make sure he is okay. Ideally I would like to take his enclosure although it is absolutely huge and I am not able to move it from the house. Is there anyone who would be willing to baby sit for me and provide an enclosure? I am willing to pay up to $120 fee for the 2 weeks.

He is very placid, healthy and a very easy snake to look after. If anyone may be interested, please reply to this or send me a private message. Thank you :)

You would have a few issues with this the first being quarrentine, letting the licensing dept know ad well as a previous thread on here where somone that had there snakes at someone elses house never got them back. Your best bet would be feed him before you go let him pass it turn off the heat and provide fresh water he will be fine for 2 weeks.

I agree with kitten_phoenix, I have a friend who comes in when I go away, they slide the door open and top up the water (one bowl at each end) each 3-4 days. this ensures the snakes keep their access to water.

I use cleaners caddies from bunnings as water bowls. Nice and deep so will take weeks to evaporate. Close the curtains to keep the enclosure out of direct sunlight and make sure you have decent hides for him to get out of the heat. He will be fine. Give him a big feed before you go and he will spend most of the two weeks sleeping

As already said your snake will be fine if left unattended while your away. It should be fine without heating this time of year but if you're worried set your heating up on a timer so it comes on for around 4 hrs in the morning so snake can have a quick bask if it wishes to, personally I'd just leave it off...
I wouldn't feed the snake before you go, I'd prefer it to be empty, that way it is less likely to poop in its water bowl, make a mess in enclosure etc.....it won't starve if it doesn't eat for 3-4 weeks.
Ideally if you could get someone to come over and change its water once a week that would be good but if you can't then it's not really anything to worry about....

I am away for 2 weeks at a time for work and my snakes do just fine. I have someone check water and do a clean if needed but they rarely have to. I do have large water bowls. This has been the routine for 3 years and if I was going to strike a problem over that time frame you would think it would have happened by now. This time of year I leave the heating off except for after feeding but I would be doing that even if I was at home. I keep pythons, colubrids and elapids so under certain circumstances it can work across the board.
As this is a one off if you follow the suggestions in previous posts I would imagine you should have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back