after advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog79

Reaction score
Hello I have just got my first snake witch is a 9 month old spotted python I have had for 3 weeks when I go to get it out of the click clack container it strikes at me with has made me a bit scared if it I want to be able to hold it to get my confidence with it it is fine once I get it out with a hook I want to know how I can handle the situation so we can get on

If you are in or near brisbane scales and tales expo is on tomorrow wealth of info there

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you answered the question yourself, use a hook! There is nothing wrong with using one. I use a hook all the time especially for really food orientated pythons. Instead of reaching my hand in I use a hook, not to pick them up but to let them know that there is no food coming. I gently I guess stroke the snake with the hook. This also wakes the snake up if sleeping, and also says your about to be picked up and handled. I think it's a good process to get into.

From one python noob, I share your anxiety Bulldog. I have kept Beardies for the past 8 odd years and even been bitten twice during hand feeding but over the years I learnt so much and gained experience with handling them.

I also just got my first python two weeks ago, an 8month old diamond and every time I go to get her out of her cage I am just waiting for the bite, it hasn't happened yet thank god.

Where I got her from told me to always just pick her up without hesitating or pulling away, not sure if that would work for you but it has for me so far. He also said there was nothing wrong with using a hook to gain experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back