Carpet python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrodmclean

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a carpet python, pretty young, in a tub with floor mat at 32 degrees, feeding it thawed pinkies ( havent succeeded yet ) i use my own spare kitchen tongs to hold the thawed out pinkies but he just seems to be scared of the food... is there something im doing wrong?

b7598285c90586633810b464aa0e7082.jpg

019cb4cf01cc39e06c95aeeae00fa5a5.jpg

For starters you have no secure hide spot that I can see where the hatchling feels he can be 100% secure and hidden away. Secondly try sitting the tub somewhere you have very little foot traffic so it doesn't have people walking past and disturbing it. Lastly, try putting a towl over the tub so it feels a bit more secure for two weeks. No peeking or disturbing. Just check it has water every second day and leave it alone. Then try feed.
One very last thing, are you sure it was eating before you obtained it and was it eating pinky rats or mice?

Firstly, you should ditch the woodchips and replace with 2-3 layers of of paper towel - you don't want your little snake to be accidentally ingesting large solid chunks of indigestible matter when feeding. Get yourself some long (15-25cm) forceps rather than use kitchen tongs - kitchen tongs are much larger than the actual food item and probably a bit scary for a baby snake to have waved over its head. Thirdly, feeding pink mice to a baby carpet is never guaranteed successful. Get hold of some large fuzzies or even small weaner mice, drop into hot tap water for a few minutes until thawed, and then offer from your new forceps, holding it by the tail (the mouse that is!) Young carpets are well able to eat fuzzy or weaner mice, and most prefer these furred offerings over pink mice. And fourthly, offer food in the evening - these guys are largely nocturnal and operate far more comfortably after dark, especially until well established. Once settled, they'll eat pretty much whenever food is offered. Make sure there is nothing distracting in the way of excess movement happening outside the tub - if the snake is nervous it will focus far more on surrounding threats than on the food you're offering. Loosen the lid carefully and slide back just far enough to be able to offer the snake the mouse - if you take the lid right off, you'll be doing something similar to taking the roof off its house, and it may go into panic mode.

Couple this advice with that already offered regarding a hiding place and I'd be surprised if you don't have success within a few days.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, i only just realized i hadn't replied, thankfully he is now eating and he is a very good eater, havent had problems with him at all, he is an enthusiastic eater and he is very healthy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back