Quarantine tanks and advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qwetzal

I have two pythons at the moment and am getting more so i was thinking to start quarantining any new comers. I was just wondering how long is a good time to do so and what set ups do you have in place? I was thinking of making a large tub rack specially for quarantining the new snakes so i would like to see setups of tubs and enclosures and what you guys all recommend in quarantine procedures.
I have read up quite a but on it and theres a lot of discrepancy between what is said to be done so i thought i would ask people who have found something that works for them.
thank you

You would quarantine new arrivals for at least 12 months and in a separate room , set ups usually don't differ (mine don't anyway), though there are people that don't quarantine

Each new snake (or snakes from one breeder) should always be housed in a seperate room from another. 12 mths is good, 16mths may be better as the sunshine virus has been shown to stay hidden for that time frame now. If you can id go for the test avaliable but its expensive.
If you buy 2 pythons from 2 breeders they should be quarrentined in seperate rooms not all in one as thats defeating the point

Sunshine virus, is probably the least of your quarantine concerns unless you're QLD...

I have a quarantine room and i have 12 python in there now from a number of breeder. You only need 1 room if you do it right. You need to use a good disinfectant i use f10 and always disinfect equipment eg hooks and feed tongs after and before using on eack reptile in quarantine. i had 2 python come in from QLD and sent away to test for Sunshine virus and it cost me about $400.

Yeah i was mainly concerned about SV but wasnt sure of how long it can be asymptomatic. I use f10 myself. I also assume you always go to quarantined last after you have finished with others in the collection for things such as cleaning and feeding. I guess ill try my hardest for 12 months as i want to be 100% and see how i go for going longer. Yeah im thinking of getting my collection tested when i have the money as i seem to be getting into snakes alot more, though i have heard its a bit cheaper to do a group swab and get that tested from a geoup of your reptiles, which is good if its negative as its cheaper, although positive means you need to do the tests individually on the snakes again.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh do you guys use tubs or special tanks for quarantine?

Care to explain that?
You do realize the only 2 states there hasnt been a recorded case is WA and TAS.....

Most prevalent in QLD - that said there has been very few recorded cases, so I wouldn't immediately be concerned about it above other things like mites, ticks, RI and other viruses and bacteria that are extremely common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back