Banded tree snake gone off food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rexman

Reaction score
Hi All I was looking for some advice from someone I bought a Night tiger 8 mths ago and for the first 4 ot 5 mths has eaten well, recently has gone off her food for the last 8 or so weeks. She is wild caught as was eating well on thored weaner mice 2 at a time now wont touch a thing, besides assist feeding does any one have any tricks of the trade that may help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any chance she could be knocked up? (Keeping in mind that they can retain sperm) is she adult size?

Hi Chris could be but I woulnt think so as she doesn't look large enough ,i know these are a very slender snake,could you feel the eggs ?

Yes, you can feel the eggs.
My BTS have done the same, the way I got around it is feeding as much as they will eat in one sitting then waiting a month to offer again.

Its the time of year for some of them to do it although Im lucky in that only one of mine have stopped, the rest are still going.

How often were you feeding her and has anything changed husbandary wise (enclosure getting warm, changed where she is in the room)?

Do you know if she was dewormed when caught. If not, the parasite load might have reached levels that stops her from feeding.

Hi Guys thankyou all for your feedback in answer im not totally sure of her being dewormed he said he does but I was going to do this to make sure..I was feeding her about every 10 to 12 days with two good size weaner mice and she wasn't refusing them when I had her in a tub for quarrentine Purposes,then I moved her to an enclosure 1200 by 600 by 600 she continued to feed 2 to 3 times then has just stopped.Snipercap do BTS's go off there food sometimes at this time of the year as you've experienced ??

Allan makes a good point on the parasite issue...

In terms of going off food, not often from my experience although I have read differently, but I have one that does it this time of year regularly. She doesn't go off food completely but changes to eating once every 25 to 30 days instead of 10 days. Only thing that changes for her is that it gets pretty warm in the room they are in.
Its possible its a husbandry/enclosure thing if you are saying that she only took a couple of feeds and then stopped after being moved in. BTS can be rather touchy when being moved around and while she may have felt secure in her tub, something may have clicked in her brain to stop feeding.

The above is just speculation though mate, some BTS are finicky and just choose to do their own thing no matter what you do. My only bit of advice is not to change too much too quickly while trying to figure it out.

Just out of curiosity, are you just leaving the mice in there for her or how are you offering it?

I've got a wild caught WA night tiger that has been of the food for a few months. Similarly I'm not sure why. I haven't changed anything and temps are constant. I've only got the one so far, but from what I can gather they can be very temperamental with feeding.

I've got a wild caught WA night tiger that has been of the food for a few months. Similarly I'm not sure why. I haven't changed anything and temps are constant. I've only got the one so far, but from what I can gather they can be very temperamental with feeding.

Update.. It's feeding again. The only thing I've done differently is mist every second day.. Figure it's the wet season in the Kimberly now so bumped up the humidity with a mist. Either a coincidence or it's triggered it to start feeding again. I should mention that I used to mist when it was feeding before as well.

I have one that can be a little bit like that Snow.....Eats like mad for a few weeks then decides to stop for a few, other times can be sporadic and eats quail instead of mice, and vice versa. He was a legal wild caught (caught young I believe).

Whilst he is healthy and gaining weight I don't worry too much. He is a pussycat to handle ......very placid and calm. I would trust him with my grandmother. Only trouble is finding a suitable female for him.....They seem to be as rare as a lotto wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back