aggressive woma?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conzoy

Reaction score
hi all,

i got my first python the other day a 6 week old WA woma. shes an awesome looking snake but is not to fond of me and strikes at me when i just walk past the enclosure or even come near it. i have been able to hold her but if i move my thumb or something she will bite me straight away. one of my main worries is feeding as she goes into strike mode when ever i open the enclosure door and will only try a defensive attack to the mouse. the enclosure is kinda low and sitting on a coffee table like thing in my room do i need her a bit higher? and some advice on the feeding and taming would be a big help!!

thanks, connor

You are about to receive the "Leave her alone for a couple of weeks and cover the enclosure so she can't see you go past advice' from someone. I suggest listening to them.

is that going to help her much though? it seems more a hate towards me rather than her needing to settle in. i will do this anyway but want to give her a feed somewhere in there do i just leave it in there then to not disturb her much?

that 'hate towards you' response is because she hasn't settled in.

My Woma was very strikey for at least the first 6 months, and found it helped to settle in by having the enclosure in a spare room, in a 2 ft enclosure, with 2 hides, one at the warm end, and one at the cool end. Also used a sanitizer on hands when taking him out, and fed him in a separate container. I also found handling him for only short periods helped. Even though he still huffs and puffs a little when taking him out, it's hard to believe that it's the same snake that use to strike and head but everything when he was you.

I have a similar problem with mine only had him twenty four hours and he went from being placid as and so relaxed, to what seems a little psychotic! I will take the same advice on offer here and fingers crossed he settles in otherwise he is Goin to be a handful which would be a real shame considering he was so placid at the beginning. How has it been going with yours conzoy?

I have a similar problem with mine only had him twenty four hours and he went from being placid as and so relaxed, to what seems a little psychotic! I will take the same advice on offer here and fingers crossed he settles in otherwise he is Goin to be a handful which would be a real shame considering he was so placid at the beginning. How has it been going with yours conzoy?

Most of mine have been placid in the first 24 hours then turn into little devils. It's normal.

she is only a baby and needs time to settle, their natural instincts so young is to strike for protection and once she feels safer she should settle but do give her time in the quietest part of the house and make sure she has plenty of hides. If she has been put straight into an enclosure instead of a tub this could be causing more stress on her too.

Thanks for the reassurance guys I do appreciate it I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong which was how I was beginning to feel or the fact that he just hated my guts for some reason lol he is not interested in Goin into his hide at all either which I thought might be a little weird

Snakes aren't capable of hating. It sounds like it's a natural reaction, youre big and scary, she's gone into a strange place (different smells, temps etc) and is reacting to protect herself.

Cover the tub/enclosure, don't disturb for a week (except to change water or feed) and then see if she has settled down at all...I'd not leave the enclosure where it's down low and you have to walk past it all the time.

Is there a reason she's in an enclosure and not a tub? A 6 week old woma is tiny and would feel threatened in an enclosure I would think. Do you have plenty of hides?

Is it unusual for a hatchie not too use its hides he has two. One up the warm end and one in the cooler end. My hot end is about thirty five and cool end about twenty eight will those temperatures suit? I've been away all week and he doesn't seem to be calming at all but I'll keep him covered over I guess and see what happens. He is eating fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back