How shall I clean bloody eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well how did she go. did you take her to the vet? looks like she has blown a oviduct.
Breeding her again could put her at risk

Sorry to say, but your girl has ripped out her oviduct. That is what you see covering the eggs. You should take her to a vet, but there is probably little they can do (little point operating). She might be fine, or she could be bleeding badly internally. She may also not be able to reproduce again - although they do have two oviducts, and are remarkable critters, so who knows?

Best of luck with it.
Dan

I had a Jungle egg last year that did not look so good. It started to get a yellow mould on it and I separated it from the rest of the clutch. I would use a cotton tip and warm salty water to wipe down the affected spot. It did this every couple of days, figured nothing cleans better than salt water and the animal went on to hatch. I guess you could try that but I think Pythoninfinite is correct in what the outcome will be for these eggs. And yes, it sounds like an oviduct has ruptured. I have only had a single friend who has had this happen and it did not end well.

Just in case anybody wants to know the end of this story: I brought my Murray Darling girl called "Darling" to a snake expert - Michael from the Reptile City at Christies Beach who knows more about pythons than any vet. After seeing the above pictures on my mobile phone, he said that this is obviously an "EGG STRING" and that I should bring the mother in for examination, to determine whether vet assistance is needed.

He explained that the eggs got attached to the inside tissue of the snake mother and basically pulled part of her abdominal lining out during egg laying. Michael examined Darling for any left-over eggs in her body. He said, if there were any, it could make her very sick and even be terminal. On the other hand, he said, if no eggs were left, the mother would most likely recover over the next few months. Reptiles have an amazing ability to regenerate parts of their bodies. There were no more eggs inside the mother.

All the bloody eggs deteriorated and fouled, and when they were really stinky I threw them in the bin. Out of the other eggs, we still have 5 in the incubator which look very good...and we are waiting. :)

Mum is doing very well. After some quiet time under her lamps she has shed beautifully last week (the whole skin in one piece) and then ate two bay rabbits and two big adult rats more or less in one go! She also loves getting her cuddles again and enjoys her "walks out into the wild" (under supervision). I am confident she has already fully recovered.

Last edited:
Great to hear, it's sad you lost some eggs but all in all it could have turned out worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back