Beardie Substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frizz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of putting together an enclosure for a bearded dragon and was wondering what substrate you guys reccommend?

Just removed as my experiences are wrong apparently.

Last edited:
Honestly I have never had a problem and I have been keeping dragons for some years. My bearded is blind in one eye and is constantly eating sand by accident. IMO healthy animals that are cared for correctly can pass just about anything. Its easy to spot clean with either a bit of tissue paper or sieve and it last a long time before you have to completely replace it, better still you can clean and reuse it if you want to go through the effort. 100% natural red desert sand is fantastic, my favourite! really fin and soft to the touch.

I also use sand,all of my beardies have been on sand since day 1. All this rubbish about beardies getting impaction on sand is a fairy tale from america where they use terrible products like calci sand which turns to cement in the gut.
Cat pellets are a bad choice because they absorb moisture which can lead to respiratory infection ( beardies worst nightmare).
Some keepers hate red desert sand ( $20+ for 5kg) because it stains the feet and some keepers use washed play sand ($7 for 20kg) from your local hardware available at less than a quarter of the price.
I use both types successfully and happily.
As long as good hygene practices are followed and good temps are kept you will have no problems.
If you really think about it ....where do beardies come from??...the desert.....what is the desert made of ???

I also use sand,all of my beardies have been on sand since day 1. All this rubbish about beardies getting impaction on sand is a fairy tale from america where they use terrible products like calci sand which turns to cement in the gut.
Cat pellets are a bad choice because they absorb moisture which can lead to respiratory infection ( beardies worst nightmare).
Some keepers hate red desert sand ( $20+ for 5kg) because it stains the feet and some keepers use washed play sand ($7 for 20kg) from your local hardware available at less than a quarter of the price.
I use both types successfully and happily.
As long as good hygene practices are followed and good temps are kept you will have no problems.
If you really think about it ....where do beardies come from??...the desert.....what is the desert made of ???
The sand sold as "red desert sand" and stains your dragons is died quarry sand the real natrual stuff doesn't stain, just saying.

Ok cool, thanks for all your replies, looks like I'll probably end up getting sand for my enclosure.

Hi Guys, hope its ok to reply now... I have just bought my bearded dragon sand after seeing this thread. I too, use to have her on sand, then got very nervous about impaction so tried coconut husk for a while, ditched it because I was finding it in her poo, and then tried vermiculite. Is this safe? I am getting rid of it tomorrow morning when she wakes, because I saw her munching on it. Has anyone tried this before for substrate?

All of our dragons and monitors are all on sand, and thriving. Good for them to dig in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back