Cheynei VS Bredli: The Best Beginner Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfien

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Looking into keeping my first snake.

I narrowed it down to a choice of either a Centralian Carpet Python or a Jungle Carpet Python

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Centralian. Hands down.
Jungles can be temperamental and are renowned as being some of the snappiest and defensive of all the Morelia when young. Not always, but generally. Most grow out of it, but a fair few retain that snappiness throughout their lives.

Bredli are considered one of the best beginner snakes along with Metcalfei(Murray Darling) and Aspidites. Again, you can have the odd one that goes against this and is snappy throughout their lives but this is a rarity.

Thanks for your quick reply arevenant,

I was probably pushing toward the bredli side. Both snakes have very beautiful coloration and price is pretty much the same.

Out of curiosity, would it be a completely idiotic move to purchase a jungle as a first snake?

Thanks again

Jungles are a fine choice as a first snake. Sure you can get a snappy one, but that goes with just about all varieties and if you are really worried about getting bitten then maybe a snake isn't the best choice in the first place.

Consider final size, too. Bredls are larger as adults, with the difference depending on the type of jungle you pick. Have a look at older adults of both species. They look tops at about 2-3 years of age. After that the blacks often get less vivid. Ask to see older animals to see what size and look you will get in the future. Both can be stunning and good pets. Both can be snappy, too.

Go for personal choice, Bredli are often just as snappy as juvies.

Yeah colour as they age could be a thing to consider if looks are important to you, the blacks in jungles tend to muddy up as they age, and bredli tend to get much darker as they age...

Just my own experience But of the 3 juvie jungles I've known 2 are placid as u like my boy has never bitten anyone as far as I know, and my brothers girl has only bitten once after 1st week when he hesitantly went to handle for the first time. but she's got a lovely temperament too. my girl on the other hand was a bit hissy and bitey for first few months but has calmed down with regular handling. There would obviously be other factors like how long they've had to settle and husbandry etc

Last edited:
I've got a bredli and she was a devil for the first 12 months, now she is fine. But I picked the snappy one out of the bunch just for a challenge, worked out well in the end.

Go the Bredli!.. I dont agree with any juveniles being any more snappy than others.. they can all be a bit snappy.. they are small and feel insecure so they bite.. doesnt hurt at all tho.. good luck!

Hey I just put up some questions about my bredli.. any tips on how you worked yours out would be more than welcome.. Mine's 5 years old and just as snappy as the day I got her :(

I own both. Both as snappy as each other. Size and color is what you will base your decision on. Bredlis are bigger, however atherton jungles get big too. Black and golds not so much.

Have read all the replies to a simple question, only one person gave a good answer as fair as I am concerned. That is Arevenants first reply. You should not be replying to questions like this based solely on your own personal experience. You need to base it on a good size cross section made over many years.

Have read all the replies to a simple question, only one person gave a good answer as fair as I am concerned. That is Arevenants first reply. You should not be replying to questions like this based solely on your own personal experience. You need to base it on a good size cross section made over many years.

how many years is a good sized cross section? 5, 10?

20+ years and say an average of 500+ specimens per species to base a opinion of overall temperament. But as arevenants stated quite correctly they are ALWAYS exceptions to every rule.
If you where looking at these 2 species an average cross section would be something like this
500 Jungles 450 bad temperament 50 great temperament Overall average states bad temper
500 Bredls 450 great temperament 50 bad temperament Overall average states good temper

Disregarding the odd exception,far and away young jungles are way more nervous/highly strung than bredli.Difference between the two is night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back