Water Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chalky77

Just wanting some advice on housing snakes together, I've got two water python hatchlings (male and female), I want to house them together as adults in a 8x4x2ft enclosure. Would it be better to introduce them and house them together now? (In a smaller tank) Or when they are larger? I would feed them separately, it would just be them living together.

Not a good idea to house them together at all(any python really). Water Pythons have been known to be cannibalistic.

Yeah its a great idea if you really want issues later on down the track.

I strongly suggest not doing it, because they will breed. Plus there can be alot of other issues.

You will end up losing one or both animals - Water Pythons have an enormous feeding response, and they will certainly end up either damaged or dead if you routinely house them together.

Jamie

I don't like telling people they should or shouldn't do something. I can however tell you of a situation I was in with two water pythons housed together.

I was charged with the relocation of a small collection of reptiles from a previous work. I decided to take all the animals on myself, amongst the collection were two water pythons (male and female) that have been housed together without problems for near on a decade. I had always planned to separate them. The day I went to move the male into his new enclosure, the female had a very strong food response and she bit him by mistake (in case anyone wants to know, she really shouldn't have been terribly hungry). They have relatively big teeth (water pythons) in my opinion, and he needed a couple of stitches and antibiotic injections (which are just awful to give to a snake, he became very hand shy for a long time after that). I still feel guilty about the situation and he still has the scars from the incident years on.

Sarah Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back