Howdy tooty

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurf

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there peeps
So, I'm kinda new to this whole reptile husbandry stuff. Wasn't something I ever thought about getting into, but my partner was well keen and finally in a position to start a collection. It took me about a week to be ok enough to hold the first snake, and luckily, he is ever the charmer. Johnson, our Jungle Jag has the best manners, in the over four months now, he has not had a single strike at anyone. He also tends to greet me in the morning and when I get home from work by either looking out from his hide rock, or extending his head from his neat coils atop his log.
DSC_2419.jpg

Next to join the family was a trio of Ridge Tailed Monitors, Tom, Katie and Nicole. They're a lot of fun to watch and get a feel for their habits. After a month of so of watching them interact we redesigned their vivarium and they have a ball now. The way they move and use their bodies is incredible, and they clearly don't care about having each other jump on their head or play stacks on under the heat. Took a few weeks but I can now tell them all apart by the marking on their necks. Hoping to breed from these guys in the future.
DSC_2152.jpg

Following this, along came Houdini, the Murray Darling. Night one we learnt a valuable lesson (and hence he got his name), pythons will find small flaws to escape through.... lucking he only made his way to underneath the vivarium, but a mass search of the house was undertaken before he was found. He is also the master of deception. For weeks I believed he was only staying in one corner of his tank, day and night. Then one night I got up for a drink to find him on quite to adventure in his tank, seems he's a night critter. And also takes the title of Mr SnappyPants, not a big fan of getting taken out of his box, but once you have him he settles quickly.
IMG_20150105_213837.jpg

After a small lul, we then had a mass influx of assorted dragons, Red-Barred, Central Netted, Red phase Bearded, Tawny and Painted... all in various numbers and ages. I got this cracker shot of Small Fry, a Red-Barred only a couple months old. If you know how tiny they are, you'll appreciate this...
IMG_20150127_195743.JPG

And then finally, an Albino Darwin of now 9 weeks old, Flash. He's a huge fan of his hide rock, so much so, I'm going to add one on top of his log sideways against the wall. He's still very timid when it comes to being handled, but not too shy to have a few cracks. He (or she) is the only one yet to make contact with me on a strike.
DSC_2637.jpg

So that's to run down on the collection so far. Look forward to flicking through the forums and learning heaps, and also giving my feedback to others.
Peace y'all!

Welcome to the site. Great first post!

Welcome! What a lovely crew you have, all very gorgeous

Why thankyou Eagle, I think they'll all rather handsome.
And yes, the collection is ever growing, my partner still has a list of species he wants to get. Need space for more vivariums first.
Was feed day for the pythons today, they all took their thawed mice rather quickly, must have been hungry with the warmer weather. Johnson did wrap it up and just kind of nuzzle his for a while though, but that's not uncommon. Almost looks like he enjoys the feel of its fur on his face :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back