Superworms questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

Reaction score
Found a supplier of superworms called AI BAIT SUPPLIES. They tell me their super worms wont pupate.

Anyone else using their superworms as food for their dragons and larger skinks ?

I ordered a batch of 200 but have had second thoughts about using them as lizard food as I'm not sure what they do to their superworms to prevent them from pupating. If they are not suitable for feeding live to lizards, I'll freeze them and use them as fishing bait instead.

I don't want to go to local pet shops to buy my superworms - too expensive and I've had bad tubs of crickets and mealworms from most every shop I've bought from and paid through the nose for the dubious privilege. :(

Are AI BAIT SUPPLIES' superworms OK to use as food for my 2 adult beardies and blue tongues ?

Would buy my superworms from Frog Arcade like my mealworms and medium crickets but they don't currently have them.

If anyone cares to recommend a good mailorder supplier of superworms I'd be very grateful.

Also guidance on how many per feed to give to adult CBD and adult BTS , should I snip the heads off these big worms prior too giving to my lizards too ? Use as a treat or a staple ?

Last edited:
I dont know who A1 bait supplies are, so i cant comment on them.

However, they wont have done anything to the worms to stop them from pupating, superworms dont pupate when theyre in a group, probably cos they would get eaten as theyre trying to pupate.

To get superworms to pupate you need to seperate them into individual jars and keep them in a warm dark place for about 2 weeks (i think, i havent bred them in ages) they turn into 'alien' looking things, then into beetles that mate and lay hundreds of teeny tiny eggs in a bran type substrate. (theyre very easy to breed)

I never felt comfortable feeding superworms that werent freshly shed, but alot of people in the US use them as a staple diet for dragons with no problems. I would think that a dragon that is kept at the right temps wouldnt have any problems digesting them with or without skin.

I used them mainly as treats, i prefer to use roaches as the staple food source.

I keep and breed super worms myself now. Got my first order from 'I've got worms' (look up on facebook). All extremely healthy when they arrived and he threw in a few extra hundred in the order.

I separate mine into tackle boxes and have no problems with pupation and I just keep the racks in a corner in my reptile room. Keeps them warm enough.

Feed them to a lot of my animals and haven't had an issue. As long as you don't let them binge there shouldn't be a risk of impaction. There's a much higher ratio of shell to meat compared to your normal meal worms.

These guys have loved them in the past: Bearded dragons, short fin eels, frill necked lizards, land mullets, shingle backs, eastern water dragons, short neck/long neck turtles, ridge tailed monitors, wood swallows, gang gang cockatoos, pied herons, bush stone curlews, tawny frog mouths.

I keep and breed super worms myself now. Got my first order from 'I've got worms' (look up on facebook). All extremely healthy when they arrived and he threw in a few extra hundred in the order.

I separate mine into tackle boxes and have no problems with pupation and I just keep the racks in a corner in my reptile room. Keeps them warm enough.

Feed them to a lot of my animals and haven't had an issue. As long as you don't let them binge there shouldn't be a risk of impaction. There's a much higher ratio of shell to meat compared to your normal meal worms.

These guys have loved them in the past: Bearded dragons, short fin eels, frill necked lizards, land mullets, shingle backs, eastern water dragons, short neck/long neck turtles, ridge tailed monitors, wood swallows, gang gang cockatoos, pied herons, bush stone curlews, tawny frog mouths.

I had to reactivate my old (long abandoned) facebook page to view their page but for the life of me I can not see an email address , so how the heck does one place orders with Mr or Mrs "I've Got Worms" ?

Also done a bit of a search and discovered that Amazing Amazon sell SuperWorms (as well as Silkworms). Would rather give my lizards silkworms but I don't know anyone who has a mulberry tree and haven't seen any mulberry trees in my local neighbourhood that I might raid for leafs.

I'll take advice and only use softskins and only as treats.

Will see about getting some of the superworms I got from the bait place to pupate and see if they produce beetles who are fertile. And maybe if I am successful start my own Superworm breeding farm.

Unless someone here uses their Superworms as feed for their lizards and can confirm they are OK to use, I'm of a mind to try to breed my own superworms from some of them and to freeze the rest for bait. I just don't want to risk harming my beloved pet lizards by poisoning them accidentially if there is something dicey that they AI Bait feeds them that's toxic to skinks and dragons but makes them attractive to fish (as live or dead baits)..

Last edited:
Send a PM through Facebook. That's how I got in contact originally.
Not I just give him a call when I want to place a new order.

He's pretty quick with responses :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back