JCP setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfien

Reaction score
hello everyone,

I have some questions about the setup of a jungle carpet python.

any answers would be great!

I have decided to keep a hatchling jungle carpet python in an Exo Terra 12x12x18 until he grows out of it

for lighting I am thinking the Exo Terra Day and Night LED 13 Watt on a 12 hour timer. Good so far?

Heating I was thinking a 20x20cm Exo Terra Rainforest Wave Heat Pad. This will only operate during late autumn - early spring as summer temperatures in Sydney are pretty similar to temperatures in Atherton tablelands. I wasn't going to get an infrared basking spot unless it was absolutely necessary... do I need one?

Also if I use a heat mat as my primary (and only) heat source, does this mean my snake will spend most if not all of its time on the ground, and rarely on branches? (I know they're semi-arboreal, not fully) and furthermore, should the heat mat be on a timer?

any replies would be so helpful!
thanks

Hey The light is not necessary as they are nocturnal a 5W heat mat is all that was needed for my jungles and I'm on the Gold Coast. See if u can find a double ended temp probe one for hot end one for cool. Mine were generally in there hide during the day and the would be sitting on top of hide during the night. Good luck with him/her :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also Cheap option is a timer but you'll have to be vigilant during summer and adjust times accordingly not sure about the Exo terra heat pad but the reptile one brand 5w heat pad has a thermal cut off which may suit you better.

Last edited:
thanks a ton Prof_Moreliarty! Much appreciated!

is it necessary to provide these guys with an arboreal hide (as well as a terrestrial hide)? Like the exo terra canopy cave or something?

Thanks again!

There's a lot of other options out there other than Exo Terra, some of which are a lot cheaper and a lot better...

thanks a ton Prof_Moreliarty! Much appreciated!

is it necessary to provide these guys with an arboreal hide (as well as a terrestrial hide)? Like the exo terra canopy cave or something?

Thanks again!

not sure id call it necessary but if you can fit it in there he'll no doubt use it and may help him settle. I've set mine up in bigger tubs now and they love there perches

- - - Updated - - -

Also as arevanent suggested there are cheaper options for most things like hides and enclosures such as tubs you could get a 5-7L tub for under $10 like the one in pic id imagine the Exoterra one is $40+ You can also get plastic hides for as little as $5. But go with what suits you if moneys no problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    926.3 KB · Views: 58
I have a exo terra cage, you might want to think about a wooden cover for winter to keep your electricity bill down.

I find heating with a ceramic heater means my girl is out on show almost every night basking on her branches and vines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back