Is tap water safe for drinking/soaking?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfien

Reaction score
Is tap water safe for drinking/soaking (for carpet pythons) or is it necessary to add a dechlorinator

If you are worried buy a cartridge deionizing kit and filter your tap water. Or simply put the water in the jug and give it a good boil , this will drive off most the chlorine dissolved in the tap water (see http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/gases-solubility-water-d_1148.html ).

I doubt the chlorine ions in tap water are high enough a concentration to harm your snakes when they drink it or bath in it, it's safe for human consumption and human bathing afterall. I suspect most of the chlorine will be lost after sitting under the lights in the water dish in the enclosures anyway.

Last edited:
Assuming you're in urban australia, its perfectly fine.

Years ago we'd already be many pages deep in discussion on this particular topic. APS has mellowed in old age. ;)

Tap water is fine.

Given the amount of water a snake drinks it's probably not much of an issue.

I also keep scorpions and fresh water shrimp bot are sensitive to chemicals shrimp moreso.

Boiling will remove some chlorine but not chloramine. It will also increase the content of other chemicals and metals because h2o evaporates but copper and iron for example won't.

I have boiled water many times and then use a bobble filter straight into small jars when moving shrimp and never lost one. I also use the same method for my scorpions of which I have two babies only 1 week off mum. They would be lucky to be 1cm long.

It's probably more of a personal choice issue than harmful to the snake. Plus if you were really worried about this you'd also have to consider you rat supply etc

Years ago we'd already be many pages deep in discussion on this particular topic. APS has mellowed in old age. ;)

Tap water is fine.
Or have been driven away due to replies by certain other "experts".
Forums are a wealth of knowledge but it doesn't take much for someone to simply walk away because of the treatment from others.

I use filtered water that I have delivered each month. All of my snakes and dragons drink bottled water.
The chlorine in tap water burns off after sitting in the sun for a while. Not sure what effect the other additives like fluoride have to snakes. I guess their fangs are cavity free. ????

Or have been driven away due to replies by certain other "experts".
Forums are a wealth of knowledge but it doesn't take much for someone to simply walk away because of the treatment from others.

Not what I meant at all Mr Vic.

Filter your tap water.
Some of the chemicals in tap water are harmful even to humans.

Filter your tap water.
Some of the chemicals in tap water are harmful even to humans.

rubbish .... you are aware that domestic tap water is dosed with very low concentrations of these chemicals.

They are added in order to kill off bacteria that can find its way into the water system (from animals falling into reservoirs and dying and rotting there in the water weeks / months and without these chemicals lots of people would suffer serious / potentially life threatening deseases due to these bacteria.

kingofnobbys if you like send me a pm and I shall give you a plethora of information on this topic, if not enjoy your dirty tap water.

kingofnobbys if you like send me a pm and I shall give you a plethora of information on this topic, if not enjoy your dirty tap water.
Nah don't bother. I've a very good idea of what's in the tap water and I'm more than happy about drinking it, and have no problems giving it to my reptiles to drink or bath in.

Nah don't bother. I've a very good idea of what's in the tap water and I'm more than happy about drinking it, and have no problems giving it to my reptiles to drink or bath in.
My grandmother is 101.. she's been drinking tap water for pretty much all those years. I agree the quantities of the chemicals make them harmless for humans and snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back