1st time breeding Antaresia vs Morelia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof_Moreliarty

Reaction score
Hi guys as title suggests I'm looking at breeding for the first time this year and am undecided on wether to go Antaresia or Morelia it has been suggested to me antaresia would be better for a 1st timer but honestly can't see much difference apart from maybe clutch size? I've been eying off a pair of athertons a coastal pair and a spotted pair, not doing it for money so resale value doesn't worry me just perhaps how quickly i can move them on which may be easier withs the spottys in Qld as pet stores may also take some off me. Anyway just after some thoughts to help sway my decision.

You're probably gonna lose money on them if you offload them to a pet store just an FYI, I know you say you're not doing it for that, but hatchie setup costs(housing, feeeding) will be a fair bit more than you'll get for selling some Ant's to a pet store...
Think also, even with morelia, you could be holding on to some of these hatchies possibly in excess of 6 months. Are you prepared for that kind of commitment?

I would also say feeding and housing size would be a big consideration. Antaresia can be a little more difficult to get feeding (yes I know there are exceptions) but require much less space and feed sizes (read cost), especially if you're going to be stuck with them for a long time.

Thanks for replys fellas it's something I've been giving consideration and researching for a fair while now. And I am now moving to a new house with the room to consider breeding. Although I said I'd rather move them quickly I had considered the consequences of not being able to move them as quick as I'd like and I definitely have the time and money to commit and give the snakes the care they need/deserve even if I'm stuck with 10-15+ hatchys. With that said I will look at cutting cost where I can, I have a mate who is a chippie who will help me build a 20 tub rack. And have found a few very cheap if not free options for other things such as hides etc

- - - Updated - - -

I would also say feeding and housing size would be a big consideration. Antaresia can be a little more difficult to get feeding (yes I know there are exceptions) but require much less space and feed sizes (read cost), especially if you're going to be stuck with them for a long time.

yeah that's something else I had considered (getting to feed) I assumed the carpets would be easier. The antaresia would no doubt start on pinkie mice but what would the Morelia be into at first pinkie rats?

Yep they?re big enough to take pinky rats straight off.

Although even there you have the ongoing debate about whether it?s better to start with hopper/weaner mice due to them having more developed bone, organs and fur or to not worry about that and start with the rats to save the trouble of switching them later.

Hmm interesting debate just browsed through a couple of threads, I never had a problem switching my jungles to rats so id go with hopper mice. although my female spat her 1st rat out and just looked at it as if to say what the hell is that, she was fine next time around as I just heated the rat inside a bag with a spare mouse I had and never been a problem since.

Ok so after deliberating for a while I have gone morelia and picked up a couple of nice RP jungle x coastals from Wayne @ Elite Reptiles, thanks again mate.

Male is a Tully Jungle x Proserpine Coastal bred by Joel Faustino (left)

Female is Jungle x Coastal bred by Roger Lester (right)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back