Stunt Growth

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkiePie272

Reaction score
I've just acquired what appears to be an Eastern Blue Tongue. The previous owner told me it's 5 years old. I've assessed it orally and psychically, from what I can tell it is psychically in good health. If I had to guess its age by looking at it, I would assume it's only 3 months old. So my question is, is it at all possible to stunt the growth of a blue tongue? If so, how? Could it implicate any health problems?

I can't find anything online or in my books, I want as much information as possible so I can understand and establish if it needs any special care.

My first thought it must had been some type of Pygmy. Done research on Pygmy blue tongues and now know it's not one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 132
If that bluey is 5 years old it was horribly underfed, probably not given vitamin supplements. It would take a more trained eye to assess whether it has MBD, or other issues from malnourishment. Whatever age it is, it should be a lot fatter in the tail. Give it lots of TLC and good luck with its care.

It's a third of the size of my 3 year old Eastern. It's in a 3ft tank which it hasn't outgrown, never had supplements or proper lighting. Only heating was a mat that was not attached to a thermostat. I just can't wrap my head around it being 5 years old and this small without any clear disformities.

Can you take a clearer photo? Preferably with the animal laid out straight?

Certainly doesnt look underfed. There is often huge variations in sizes of reptiles with a large number variables affecting growth rates. Looks to me likes its a tad small - mayber 35cm total length? According to my reptile field guide, the normal size of an eastern is about 40cm total length.

I'm following cause I'm super interested to see the discussions. I've always thought my BTS to be stunted... He is at least 10 probably older, at least a few cm longer than this guy. He was rehomed to me when I was 10 I was a kid with no clue on reptile care, once I moved out I set him up properly and his fattened up lots, I think he has some form of MBD though. I can't offer any info but if it helps I can get some photos and measure him up as a comparison? His certainly grown a bit since I've been in full control of his care!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back