12x12x18 for spotted python hatchling??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simboni

Not so new Member
Reaction score
would a 12x12x18 glass terrarium be an appropriately sized housing for a spotted python hatchling for any period of time? I've got one lying around and I was wondering if it could be used as a home for any period of time before I buy the proper enclosure (60x45x60). I'm aware that a hatchling would need a smaller enclosure as otherwise they get stressed. Can that other enclosure by my 12x12x18 or do I need to go out and buy another terrarium?

thoughts/replies would be really helpful!

thanks

Hi simboni, I have a Darwin Albino hatchling in the same size. As long as there are a few hides snug enough for them to feel secure in, should be sweet. Flash is pretty happy in his. He'll spend a few days in a row in the floor hide, then lay on the log for a day, into the mid height hide, and then gets on the lip above the doors. The difficulty I think is heat / light. I have an infrared heat bulb in a cage that keeps the bottom about 30 and the top about 33. Have then used an led strip for day hours, and is also positioned near a window but not in direct sun. I expect this will suit him for at least another months (if I can convince my partner to leave him there).

Thanks Smurf, really helpful. I imagine that a spotted python and coastal carpet would have very similar heating requirements as they come from the same region. could I use a heat pad instead of an infrared bulb, or will an infrared bulb be essential? if it is essential, what wattage is your infrared heat bulb? Also is an arboreal hide necessary, or will two terrestrial hides be fine? Sorry to bombard you with questions!

Thanks again for the helpful information

Last edited:
Hi, I personally don't have any experience with heat mats, so I don't know if any/enough heat would radiate to the top of the space.
I am using a 52w halogen. Had a 42w but was only getting to 28degrees and he needs 30ish.
I also didn't have the arboreal hide originally, but noticed he likes spending time at the higher levels in different temperature zones, so i put it in to see if he'd use it, which he does.
The one thing I read that made me add that hide was twill that hatchies have a greater sense to feel secure than regulate temperature. So if they only had one hide, they would likely remain in there regardless of temps (which is not good, unless the hide is ideal temp anyway).
My vivarium also has a couple grasses and a vine, so he has plenty places to tuck himself away.

- - - Updated - - -

14238899187631236758603.jpg

Not sure if the pic will work, I'm using my phone.
This is his set up, he's out basking having just had a feed. The thermometer for th thermostat is centre back wall and I have an additional 3 thermometers to keep an eye on temps in hides etc

Nice Setup! So are you creating a vertical thermal gradient instead of a horizontal one?

Yea it has turned out that way. The floor being 12x12 doesn't leave heaps of space for difference but the actual rock warms up nicely, warmer than the hide.

hello

would a 12x12x18 glass terrarium be an appropriately sized housing for a spotted python hatchling for any period of time? I've got one lying around and I was wondering if it could be used as a home for any period of time before I buy the proper enclosure (60x45x60). I'm aware that a hatchling would need a smaller enclosure as otherwise they get stressed. Can that other enclosure by my 12x12x18 or do I need to go out and buy another terrarium?

farasat

Pass your Pass4sure security+ training courses and in first try vmware VCP550 vcp pdf by using our guaranteed www.upatras.gr and best quality Rasmussen College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back