My spotted setup ... is it right?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simboni

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm housing a spotted python hatchling in a 12x12x18 planted terrarium (plants will probably include mosses and pothos, feel free to mention any other tropical plants that originate in Australia)

I've found what I think is the correct equipment I need to house it comfortably, but I just wanted to check that it is before I go out and buy!

I'm using two compact tops, I figured I should have one bulb for heating, and the other for UVA to stimulate natural behavior and provide the necessary lighting for the plants.

For Heating: Exo Terra Daytime Heat Lamp 40Watt

For Lighting: Exo Terra Natural Light Bulb 13 Watt

Both of these would be placed on a 12-14 hour timer. There would be no form of heating during the night and setup would not be any different during the winter. Do I need a heat mat? I wouldn't get one unless it was an absolute must.

So...Did I get it right? I know that there are a lot of questions within my post. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Answers would be awesome!

Last edited:
Sounds like overkill and when you say 12x12x18 you mean inches or cm?
- - - Updated - - -

Also I have no experience using live plants in enclosures but I've never seen it recommended even for a GTP

Last edited:
definitely inches :). I should have specified!

Do you know why planted vivaria aren't recommended for pythons in general? Is it because they will transmit disease or simply because they will get squashed?

Anyway, be great if you could answer the original questions, with the knowledge that its inches and not centimetres :D

How old is the hatchy? Seems a bit big but if he had enough hides and cover.. just for reference that's 30x30x45cm my local pet store sells there spotted hatchys with a 30x20x15cm enclosure. As for plants excessive humidity and mould will be a problem

Last edited:
Looks like I'll have to cross off live plants... although these snakes can be found in very northern Australia...the same place that Pothos originates. Anyway to prevent mould? How do enthusiasts with planted frog terrariums do it?

Anyway, I'll keep the hatchling in a critter keeper until he can graduate to the 12x12x18.

thanks for pointing out the plants, but would someone be able to answer the initial question?

Last edited:
I'll start of the hatchling in a critter keeper. Looks like live plants have been crossed of the list!

Can someone please answer the initial question?

uv isn't needed as spottys are nocturnal and for a hatchy tub id recommend a 5w heat mat

Thanks,

I've got the critter keeper sorted in terms of heating, and I guess without plants the UV bulb no longer serves a purpose...

So would the 40W Daytime Heat Lamp successfully heat the 12x12x18?

Thanks,

I've got the critter keeper sorted in terms of heating, and I guess without plants the UV bulb no longer serves a purpose...

So would the 40W Daytime Heat Lamp successfully heat the 12x12x18?

what sort of cover do you have for the top? Mesh?

- - - Updated - - -

Also with the plants it would be more of a humidity issue I assume just because the snake is from a tropical region doesn't mean it needs high humidity spotteds and even jungle carpets are fine at %60-70 humidity and don't need anymore than that.

thanks for keeping up to date with the thread, really appreciate it.

The cover/top of the terrarium is mesh, yes.

Are you saying that the plants have different requirements to the snake, and therefore would not be suited to sharing the enclosure with the snake? If so, would it be possible to find some plants in the snakes natural environment? Also out of interest, how can keeping plants in the terrarium result in mould? and would the high humidity lead to an infestation in bacteria? and how is a planted frog vivarium any different to that of the snakes?

Thanks again for answering my questions, I really appreciate it!

No problem your welcome :) 40w may be ok keep an eye on temps and up it to 50w or higher if required. As for plants as I said I have no experience with them but is generally not recommended and reasons cited have been high humidity and mould

Thanks again Prof Moreliarty,

Does this setup need to be altered during the winter? Also is the daytime heat lamp left on 24/7 or is it just on during the day and not during the night? And how long will a daytime heat lamp last me?
Your replies have been so helpful, I'll probably steer away from live plants for the time being!

Last edited:
Again your welcome definitely will change in winter bulbs aren't expensive just have a few different wattages on hand and change as needed when it's cold

Go with a 75 and a 100 for winter depending on your location and get a dimming thermostat to regulate. Habistat is good brand.

Last edited:
40w should be plenty for an enclosure that size.75 ~ 100 would be massive overkill for the area to be heated not to mention dangerous for the inhabitant.

Was suggesting for winter depending on location and a thermostat will take care of the rest I've had a 45x45 in a cold winter and 75 was fine. in his size yeah 100 prob overkill . But as I said have a range of bulbs and change as needed.

I can get them fast and cheap. I'll get a 40 and 60. If an emergency occurs I can get a higher wattage very quickly. Is a heat mat necessary in winter as well? Would these heat lamps stay on 24/7 all year round or are they turned off at night? Also how long will a 40w last me? Also location is Sydney

Get the thermostat ( will take out all the guesswork)and go with your current bulb and go from there obviously if the bulb isn't getting the hot end to 32-35 for at least 2-3 hrs a day you will need to go up a size. Up to you if you want to offer heat at night I do unless it's summer and ambient temps are higher.

Last edited:
Was suggesting for winter depending on location and a thermostat will take care of the rest I've had a 45x45 in a cold winter and 75 was fine. in his size yeah 100 prob overkill . But as I said have a range of bulbs and change as needed.

Winter or not 100W for a little enclosure is massive overkill.Relying on a thermostat is dangerous in that if it malfunctions you will end up with one dead python.

would two different types of lighting with the same wattage emit the same amount of heat? (e.g. a 40W Infrared basking spot and a 40W Daylight basking spot)?

also, how does one decide which wattage is the right one for their terrarium size?

- - - Updated - - -

maybe I should reduce the wattage to the 25W daytime heat lamp and use that in combination with a heat mat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back