Keeping first Elapid/License

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alexbee

Hey Guys

So ive had snakes for years... Ive done a snake handling course which was awesome i really enjoyed it.. So now im considering getting an Elapid.. What do i need to do to get my license in QLD? I was thinking a RBB for a start.. even though id love a inland taipan lol but probably not the smartest choice for a beginner..

thanks
Alex

This question came up just the other day, and I believe this thread will end up in much the same way.

I'll give you my advice. Research. Don't come here asking for recommendations on your first elapid without knowing what is required to actually keep them. It takes less time to put a few terms into google than it does to log in and make a post on these forums. It also shows you have initiative, and don't need to be spoon fed information.

Secondly, look for someone who keeps elapids and talk to them about it. Do you really want to keep something that could possibly kill you should it escape? Regardless of what species you decide, you should at least come to terms with the fact that if you stuff up, it could come back to bite you (pun intended).

I hope I didn't come across as too impolite, but I think you should do more research on your own before you ask others to do it for you.

To get your restricted license for elapids in Queensland they like you to have completed a venomous handling course, have two stat decs from experienced handlers stating that you can handle elapids safely, a locked sealed room with locked escape proof enclosures and preferably have a first aid certificate. Its been 3 years since I have applied for mine and I believe it has not significantly changed since them. For the most update information you are best to ring DERM or whatever they are now just to verify those requirements.
You having completed a handling course is an excellent first step to keeping elapids. What I would highly recommend now is find a local elapid keeper and see if they can mentor you on the handling and husbandry practices you will need to keep elapids safely. Courses are great but they do not teach you the hands on stuff that you need to keep them. I said it in the other post and I will just reiterate it here, elapids are nothing like pythons to handle or keep. You need to always treat them with great respect as a mistake working with the will put you in hospital or possibly kill you.
A red belly is probably one of your best choices as a first elapid. They are a good size snake to work with, generally quite calm, easy to keep and fairly forgiving if you do get bitten one day. Certainly wait until you are very experienced before considering keeping any of the taipans. While inlands are generally a bit calmer than coastals they can be a bit bipolar from day to day. Some days they are super placid to deal with then the next day they are trying to bite your face and they are also extremely agile. Not a good mix if you are not experienced to deal with them.
Hopefully this helps you out a bit. If you have any further questions feel free to message me and I will try to help as best I can.
Cheers Cameron

[Removed by Moderator due to Rule Breach]

What a great reply.

I didn't deliberately talk to you 'like you're stupid'. I suggested that maybe finding the information out for yourself, rather than make a post on a forum and wait for a few hours for someone to respond. There are posts on here from people who didn't do the research and ended up with problems down the track, which really could've been prevented with just a few hours reading.

If you were actually just seeking reassurance and making sure you hadn't missed anything, perhaps rephrase what you've written. Saying "What do I need to do to get my license in QLD?" tells me you don't know what you need. Next time maybe state what you know about the conditions and ask if there's anything else you should know.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get your restricted license for elapids in Queensland they like you to have completed a venomous handling course, have two stat decs from experienced handlers stating that you can handle elapids safely, a locked sealed room with locked escape proof enclosures and preferably have a first aid certificate. Its been 3 years since I have applied for mine and I believe it has not significantly changed since them. For the most update information you are best to ring DERM or whatever they are now just to verify those requirements.
You having completed a handling course is an excellent first step to keeping elapids. What I would highly recommend now is find a local elapid keeper and see if they can mentor you on the handling and husbandry practices you will need to keep elapids safely. Courses are great but they do not teach you the hands on stuff that you need to keep them. I said it in the other post and I will just reiterate it here, elapids are nothing like pythons to handle or keep. You need to always treat them with great respect as a mistake working with the will put you in hospital or possibly kill you.
A red belly is probably one of your best choices as a first elapid. They are a good size snake to work with, generally quite calm, easy to keep and fairly forgiving if you do get bitten one day. Certainly wait until you are very experienced before considering keeping any of the taipans. While inlands are generally a bit calmer than coastals they can be a bit bipolar from day to day. Some days they are super placid to deal with then the next day they are trying to bite your face and they are also extremely agile. Not a good mix if you are not experienced to deal with them.
Hopefully this helps you out a bit. If you have any further questions feel free to message me and I will try to help as best I can.
Cheers Cameron

Well at least Qld have some laws in place to stop complete novices owning elapids ( not referring to you alexbee you have at least completed a handling course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back