Keeping different breeds in the same enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyG

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

What is the deal with keeping snakes of different breeds in the same enclosure?

I have a good friend (in the UK) who has 3 different snakes in one enclosure: a woma python, ball python and a rainbow(?). She got these snakes one at a time, as youths, within a couple of years of each other.
She has not had a single problem with them - they actually curl up all together.

I want to know - is this the exception to the rule? Or can it happen more than once?

Cheers.

Definitely an exception... does she feed them in the same enclosure too?

They might be fine like that for years then one morning she'll wake up to 1 or 2 less snakes. even if there the same species most keepers will tell you don't take the risk.

a friend of mine also keeps 3 different species together, no issues as yet. I wouldn't take that risk though :/

Hi Ruby,

Any responsible keeper who is genuinely concerned about the welfare and safety of their snakes will advise that there is no exception to the rule of maintaining snakes (be they either of the same or different species) together permanently in the same enclosure. Naturally the only time it is considered acceptable is for breeding purposes and then it should only be for a very short period and they should be separated soon after copulation.

Some animal parks and zoos do undertake the practice as a means of display but I think you'll find this, as with private keepers, is usually a result of a limited area available to demonstrate and/or house animals.

Unfortunately, as the Professor alludes, whether the practise is undertaken in parks or privately the outcome, more than often, ends in disaster for one or more of the animals.

Cheers,

George

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back