My snake just ate a small rock - should I panic?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitallen23

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've had a little Stimson's Python for about a year now. I just fed him half an hour ago, and as he was swallowing his mouse, a small rock became stuck to the mouse's skin (still feeding him pinkies). When I say small rock, I mean it was about 3-4mm diameter. He swallowed the rock with the mouse. He is still a very small snake, only around 60cm. I don't believe he'd be able to pass the rock.

Is this reason to panic, and if so, what should I do?

I would also like to mention that I believe he has bad eyesight in his left eye, as his iris doesn't open anywhere near as far in that eye. He always approaches his food (or looks at me) with the right side of his head. He constantly misses when he strikes, and I'm wondering if I should do anything about this? If there's further care I can take to look after the little guy due to this, I'd love to know about it.
As a result of his potential bad eyesight, he occasionally catches a rock in his mouth instead of the mouse when he strikes. He holds it in his mouth and looks as though he is going to swallow it. This has happened twice in the year I've had him. In those situations, I have picked him up and removed the rock from his mouth with forceps. If this is the wrong thing to do, can someone please tell me what I should do in that situation?

Apologies for the 3 or so different questions all in one post!

Thanks,
Kit

PS. I use small pebbles as substrate, which I suppose is the cause of this problem.

i usually feed my 1 year old stimmie outside in a tub to avoid ingesting substrate. and at 60cm he should be off pinkies, myn is 55cm and eating large fuzzies.

My friend just got a hatchling woma the breeder told him to feed it a full grown mice, (the woma was 3 months old) and after that go onto velvet rats,i was there watching and in my head i was thinking there was no way the little woma could take a full grown mice, i was wrong.

Last edited:
Definitely could and should go up in food size. You could try kritters crumble for substrate never been a problem for me when snake has ingested a bit, not sure on the implications of swallowing a pebble although could happen in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back