Early to go down?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanoidea

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My beardie has been sleeping inside his rock platform everyday lately. He is still interested in food if he is presented with it though and he gets angry with me should I pull him out. I think he might be trying to brumate. It has gotten a bit cooler here in the hunter as of late but it still seems a bit early. Has anybody else had their guys go down this early?

Cheers.

Not an expert, but I've seen how my beardies like to sleep in or nap lots when the weather is not nice. And I've heard of others who have beardies see this with their beardies too (pretty common).

Have you provided adequate light levels and duration to keep the beardies up and active, I know my beardies tend to be less inclined to come out from under their fake logs or to get up ( want to sleep in) when it's dull grey and miserable outside , despite the entire house being a/conditioned and staying about 24-26 [SUP]o[/SUP]C during the days in summer (a/c runs 24/7) and their enclosures being maintained with a good basking temp, warm and cool zone temps and gradient and good UVB and UVA levels.

When the day is sunny they seem to know , they really perk up heaps and become more active and alert. I think it's just a beardie quirk (they probably sense air pressure somehow). Yep, I'm in the hunter too, and the weather has been pretty ordinary (yuck !!) here too. My grass has hardly grown the last few weeks.

Maybe they need to get more time out to run about the yard or house , might be bored / depressed beardies.

Could be your basking lamp (if you are using an UVA generating spotty or a UVA + UVB MFB) or your UV CFBs are on the way out (not producing sufficient UV) , how old are your UV lamp/s ?

My 2 beardies have never brumated, I don't plan on letting them brumate this winter either (but they might go down despite me). I don't plan on breeding them either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back