Bearded Dragon Rescue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldaxh33

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I picked up (rescued) 4 beardies today that have been kept together for the last 5 years. 2 females and 2 males. I have separated them but they seem rather agitated and calm down again when all together. I have never known bearded dragons to do well in groups so should I keep them apart or put them back all together. They were being kept in appalling conditions and are all malnourished (working on fixing that). Any advice?

Are they centrals or pygmies ?

I've never had pygmies but I have read that lots keep pygmies as groups and have no great issues (they are more communal than centrals who are best kept separately except at breeding time).

Maybe an experienced beardie breeder might pine in and offer some gems of wisdom.

Last edited:
If they have been happy together for 5 years i dont think keeping it that was would be a mistake..

If they have been happy together for 5 years i dont think keeping it that was would be a mistake..
Worth a try , putting them back together in a VERY large enclosure with lots of hides and lots of basking perches, but I'd keep a very close on developments.

I know of someone who separated a lizard when it was ill (to quaranteen it) from a colony (was a skink) and despite the colony being settled and "happy with each other" before , the other members turned viciously on the quaranteened lizard when it was reintroduced and attacked it. They no longer accepted it. this is a risk if you keep them separated for too long.

The OP still hasn't advised if they are centrals or pygmies.

Last edited:
If they are really malnourished, they may not have had the condition to breed. I would advise separating the sexes if you are going to put condition back on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back