Aquarium/Container for Garden Skinks & Geckos?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasstraliss

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'd like some advice on acquiring a cheap container/aquarium to house some garden skinks and marbled geckos. I've currently got a small clear plastic container measuring about 60x40x20, but it's too shallow and doesn't have enough 'floor space'. I've recently moved house and I had to leave my old enclosure that was about 120x80x30. The containers I've been using are considered 'laundry' or 'under bed' storage containers.

I would like to find a container/aquarium that is up to but less than 10,000 square cm, which is about 100x100, and I'd like a decent height of 40-50cm. Short of building my own out of clear plastic, I was wondering what my other options are. I'm not a fan of glass due to the fragility and expense, and so far all of the other storage containers sold by Target, Bunnings, etc. have been translucent but not transparent plastic. It seems very difficult to find properly clear plastic containers that aren't $$$$.

With garden skinks they will require uv lighting so i would probable just buy an enclosure that already has light fittings in it.or u could cut a hole in the plastic and have a uv light shinning through it. u could probable just buy some wood and build a box to keep skinks in. but marbled geckos are nocturnal and require no heat or lighting

Last edited:
With garden skinks they will require uv lighting so i would probable just buy an enclosure that already has light fittings in it.or u could cut a hole in the plastic and have a uv light shinning through it. u could probable just buy some wood and build a box to keep skinks in. but marbled geckos are nocturnal and require no heat or lighting

The lighting is irrelevant, and I'm aware of the needs. I already have the fittings, and the reason I'm after plastic is for its ability to be modified. I'm simply looking for the best option with a plastic enclosure.

You have answered yourself. Your only options are keep using the style tubs you have, spend heaps on a clear one or build your own out of clear perspex. Honestly unless you are going for display enclosures I would just stick with the tubs you get from bunnings and that. They are cheap, easy to get, simple to modify and come in varying sizes depending on what you need. A standard 90 litre tub is more than big enough for garden skinks and that. If you want a good looking display but don't feel like building then you are best off spending the money and buying a glass terrarium.
Cheers Cameron

If you want to see through one side of a plastic tub, cut out a hole and fit aluminium mesh to it. It's not much from Bunnings, and you can use a soldering iron to melt the plastic around the edge.

Big clear sided mega-tubs are handy for smaller lizards (skinks and geckos), they are breeze to set up as an enclosure (and stackable and STRONG) and with the lids on escape proof for geckos who can climb a vertical plastic or glass surface (if the lid is kept on), easy to ventilate (all you need is a hot electric soldering iron), and easy to install a pendulum style light fitting (or one attached to a bit of U channel) so you can provide fulltime white and UV lighting (13W CFS are perfect for a 100L tub), or night light for nocturnal geckos, no need to cut a hole in the lid, just need a drill and some screws or small nuts and bolts.
Heating can be done too if you use a low wattage reflector globe (you will need to install a cage around it and the fitting to avoid burning you lizard if it happens to climb too near or onto the fitting, protective reflector etc).

Check out Bunnings or OfficeWorks for clear plastic mega tubs (beauty of buying from Officeworks is very cheap delivery).

I did a search looking at tubs from Bunnings and Officeworks a while ago and found the following mega tubs with UV protected clear sides, wheels and stackable

sizes WxHxL mm
92L 490x380x680
100L 470x455x695
106L 470x455x775
113L 425x510x705
140L 580x410x775
149L 580x475x770
- Updated - - -

You have answered yourself. Your only options are keep using the style tubs you have, spend heaps on a clear one or build your own out of clear perspex. Honestly unless you are going for display enclosures I would just stick with the tubs you get from bunnings and that. They are cheap, easy to get, simple to modify and come in varying sizes depending on what you need. A standard 90 litre tub is more than big enough for garden skinks and that. If you want a good looking display but don't feel like building then you are best off spending the money and buying a glass terrarium.
Cheers Cameron

Perspex is excellent, but pricey (you'll have to buy a full sheet and special acrylic adhesive).

Last edited:
Big clear sided mega-tubs are handy for smaller lizards (skinks and geckos), they are breeze to set up as an enclosure (and stackable and STRONG) and with the lids on escape proof for geckos who can climb a vertical plastic or glass surface (if the lid is kept on), easy to ventilate (all you need is a hot electric soldering iron), and easy to install a pendulum style light fitting (or one attached to a bit of U channel) so you can provide fulltime white and UV lighting (13W CFS are perfect for a 100L tub), or night light for nocturnal geckos, no need to cut a hole in the lid, just need a drill and some screws or small nuts and bolts.
Heating can be done too if you use a low wattage reflector globe (you will need to install a cage around it and the fitting to avoid burning you lizard if it happens to climb too near or onto the fitting, protective reflector etc).

Check out Bunnings or OfficeWorks for clear plastic mega tubs (beauty of buying from Officeworks is very cheap delivery).

I did a search looking at tubs from Bunnings and Officeworks a while ago and found the following mega tubs with UV protected clear sides, wheels and stackable

sizes WxHxL mm
92L 490x380x680
100L 470x455x695
106L 470x455x775
113L 425x510x705
140L 580x410x775
149L 580x475x770
- Updated - - -

Perspex is excellent, but pricey (you'll have to buy a full sheet and special acrylic adhesive).

Many thanks for that advice. I have however noticed that the tubs from Bunnings and Officeworks are marked as clear, but they're not really that transparent. I'm sure some modification would suffice however. I may jump over to bunnings and have a look, thanks.

Many thanks for that advice. I have however noticed that the tubs from Bunnings and Officeworks are marked as clear, but they're not really that transparent. I'm sure some modification would suffice however. I may jump over to bunnings and have a look, thanks.

Many are slightly opaque, but definitely see through, can order in completely colourless and totally transparent plastic versions if not in stock.

A possible benefit of slightly opaque tub is the resident reptile will feel more relaxed inside it as it will be able see there is a barrier between inside and outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back