F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant in Australia to stay

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemicalEssentials

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We're the distributors of F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant in Australia/NZ/parts of SE Asia. Just wanted to post a quick thread here as we've heard twice in the last week a rumour that F10 is "pulling out of Australia" and will no longer be available here. Well, I'm here to tell you that's not true, we're here to stay and there are no plans to "pull out" at all. None, nada, zip. F10 is here to stay!

So if you're a happy F10 user, you can just ignore anything you hear along these lines and you'll continue to be able to source the product from an ever increasing number of suppliers. If you're not using F10 or have never heard of it, no skin off your rice pudding either way, you can just click onto the next thread...

Cheers,

Andrew Chalmers

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep... I highly recommend the stuff.

The concentrate goes a L-O-N-G way, I've just finished my first bottle of F10 concentrate (I use a (corrected typo) 1:114 dilution in a F10 spray) to regularly sterilise my lizard enclosure, food dishes and lizards' furnature and hides. Also to spot clean and sterilise accidents when the beardies or skinks are out for a bit of floor time.

The F10 handwipes are part of my kit too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support folks. [MENTION=41275]kingofnobbys[/MENTION] I'll save you some $$ as well - regarding the 1:14 dilution, you don't need to use F10 at that concentration, its too strong. Generally 1:250 is fine for reptile enclosures (so that's 4ml per litre of water), or double that up to 1:125 (8ml per litre of water) if you want to have full spectrum coverage. As a comparison, F10 is used at 1:100 as a sterilant for instruments, medical scopes etc, so that's pretty much as far as you'd ever need to dilute it. Beyond that is just costing $ and there is a potential for skin irritation at very concentrated mixes.

So your concentrate will really go a long way now, a 200ml bottle will make 50 usable litres at 1:250, or 25 usable litres at 1:125.

Hope this is useful!

Thanks for the support folks. @kingofnobbys I'll save you some $$ as well - regarding the 1:14 dilution, you don't need to use F10 at that concentration, its too strong. Generally 1:250 is fine for reptile enclosures (so that's 4ml per litre of water), or double that up to 1:125 (8ml per litre of water) if you want to have full spectrum coverage. As a comparison, F10 is used at 1:100 as a sterilant for instruments, medical scopes etc, so that's pretty much as far as you'd ever need to dilute it. Beyond that is just costing $ and there is a potential for skin irritation at very concentrated mixes.

So your concentrate will really go a long way now, a 200ml bottle will make 50 usable litres at 1:250, or 25 usable litres at 1:125.

Hope this is useful!

My original statement of 1:14 was a typo .

(on checking my spray bottle I see I've written 1:114 on it).

Last edited:
The continual use of chemicals, particularly at incorrect dilution rates can desensitize their effectiveness when required or may irritate if too strong. Over time we have seen the reduction in effectiveness of many antibiotics as a result of their regular but sometimes unnecessary use. Is it good practice to use chemicals on a regular basis particularly when many keepers have only one animal?

Last edited by a moderator:
The continual use of chemicals, particularly at incorrect dilution rates can desensitize their effectiveness when required or may irritate if too strong. Over time we have seen the reduction in effectiveness of many antibiotics as a result of their regular bit sometimes unnecessary use. Is it good practice to use chemicals on a regular basis particularly when many keepers have only one animal?
I sometimes feel that people in an effort to feel secure and be seen by their peers as a good keeper tend to become too obsessed with chemicals and treatments. I attended a course where a vet so obsessed it was insane with sterilising hands she would have been prone to dermatitis. Not attacking the use of F10 but pointing out the need to be cautious with overuse of chemicals in general.

^^
True.

However, how often do you need to clean out an enclosure completely and to clean and sterilise a reptile enclosure if you are diligent about spot cleaning it and making sure no poos or old food are left longer than a day ?

I try to give my enclosures a thorough cleanout (including water blasting soiled hides, water/food bowls, rocks and branches and bits of bark and complete replacement of bedding) once a month , sometimes more often, and I then follow up with a using F10 solution to sterilise everything to get those fungi , bacteria and viruses I can't physically remove with water blasting.

Hence my bottle of F10 concentrate has lasted a few years.

I also F10 accidents left behind on the carpet sometimes by my reptiles , I have young children regularly playing on our carpet and better safe than sorry IMO.

I try to clean weekly. Change paper, wash bowls, wipe out enclosures. They eat weekly, they **** weekly.

I attended a course where a vet so obsessed it was insane with sterilising hands she would have been prone to dermatitis.

If you ever get a dose of salmonella from a reptile you would change your opinion quick smart.

You have misread my post, I am not saying don't use but don't overuse. If you had heard how many times the vet disinfected and double gloved her hands in the course of a simple routine examination and even after touching farm gates etc without signs of a contagious disease on the property you would understand. She walked around everywhere with the stuff on hand for after touching door knobs and other items people had touched. She suffered from paranoia because in her Uni days she took no precaution and caught something from inspecting an infected animal. Overuse of chemicals especially disinfectants on hands can harm the skins natural barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back