Snake ID Bredli/Murray darling?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MontyTheBredl

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time no post. I've just bought another leg less friend, but a bit unsure on the species. It was advertised as a centrilian/Bredli but I have doubts. He said it's 7 y/o so fully grown but it's still pretty small, maybe 1.5m. He's a beautiful snake, very placid, healthy and happy. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated, it doesn't worry me it's more the curiosity! :)

1znli84.jpg

Personally I'd lean towards an MD but I am far from an expert, the Bredili I've seen have always had that rich reddish colouring but then again I've seen some images of more brownish examples. I definitely don't think it's a coastal though.

It looks nothing like what people refer to as a Murray Darling Joerg. They have a completely different colour and pattern. I'd have to agree with Peter and if anything call it as a common coastal.

Im no expert but it looks like a coastal to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thing is he is supposedly 7 y/o but only 5-6ft long? He wasn't kept with any heat source for the past 4 years :( (Melbourne climate) and only fed every 3-4 weeks so that could be why. At least now he's in a heated tank and loving the basking spots and frequent meals. Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated. Here's another pic of him, he's a lovely snake.

15yvukg.jpg

It looks nothing like what people refer to as a Murray Darling Joerg. They have a completely different colour and pattern. I'd have to agree with Peter and if anything call it as a common coastal.

You know me well enough George to know I'm happy to be wrong and learn. My main point was of the two options it didn't look like what I have come to know as Bredli and it didn't gel in my mind with the coastals I've seen up close. I haven't really looked at MD's closely though.

BTW the outdoor photo in the sun really changes the look of the colour and is the best pic of the three.

I would agree that is more Coastal that MD - I have several MD's and there is not a lot about this snake that resembles one IMO.

In terms of its previous history - I have a Carpet in my collection that wasn't treated the best by its previous owner (quite innocently....they didn't know better). It was 3 yo when I got it and weighed 238 grams. It wasn't at all agro or grumpy towards us (...trust me it had no reason to like people!) as it had no heating, and being fed a fuzzy mouse every 3 weeks (it was just dropped in there and left).

With some love and care she is now just under 2.5kg after 18 months, has a lovely temperament and is a beautiful representation of her breed. I guess the purpose of my story is to say that if there are no underlying health issues they are quite hardy and will come back strong with some good care. Don't be too concerned about the underdevelopment......give it a great home and sound husbandry and it should do well.

Coastals come in all different varieties of colour and patterns. hopefully the attachments come through all okay but they were all of animals that had been hit by cars, hit by shovels etc and had come into care. One of them died but the point is that all were within a 15km radius.

Attachments

• P1010789.JPG
    P1010789.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P1000878.JPG
    P1000878.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010594.JPG
    P1010594.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 39
  • P1010792.jpg
    P1010792.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 38
  • P1010745.jpg
    P1010745.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 43
From the pictures I would say it is a Bredli, because they have rather a black, brown and beige to orangish colour, whereas the Murray Darling pythons are rather black and white. I own both species and now even a third one (Womas), and I will ask a difficult question on this forum in a moment which might interest you, too (about crossing different types of pythons), but first I wanted to answer your question. So yes, in my opinion yours is more Bredli than MD.

As to the size: Both my Bredlis as well as my MDs are 8 years old, about 10 feet long and about 8 kg in weight, males and females equally. But I recently bought a breeding pair of Womas who had been kept together in the same enclosure, both 4 years old, but with the girl being about 4 times bigger than the boy! The male is only the size of my yearling Bredli girl which I have raised (she is celebrating her first birthday this month and is our very first reptile breeding success). I have my assumptions why he stayed so small while his girl-friend developed normally, but that is another story. Despite the difference in size the female has laid eggs his year and baby snakes have hatched, so the previous owner (but none survived).

DSC_0017.jpg

here is an almost 6 yr old bredli for comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back