First Shed After Injury?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedelrick

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So long story short my stimmy got out and I found her in the shed having a fight to the death with the cat -_-... (she was winning odly?) Rushed her to the vet and had the scales around her throat glued back down and together and some antibiotics administered. Its been almost 2 weeks now and a few days ago she looked ready to shed. Then she shed all of her face but from the wound down its stayed attached. She has also spent the most part of 2 weeks sooking in her hide. when can i expect her to be up and active again?? I can also post a picture of the wound if needed.

Not good - being clawed and bitten by a cat is not good , can result in very nasty systemic infections that are usually fatal for animals attacked by cats ..... keep a very close eye on her.

I was told to give her another dose of antibiotics 3 days after the vet and that it should clear up any infections. What should i be looking out for? She does seem kinda bloated... she ate a small fuzzy a few days after it happened and hasnt pooped it out yet... youve got me worrying now...

Anything out of the ordinary.
Lethargy, off food, RI, .... I rescued a water skink from a cat and it was on IM antibiotic injections for 3 weeks (every other day) and oral antibiotics 2x per day for 4 months. Came good and then suddenly a few weeks after the antibiotics were stopped suddenly had a relapse , sicked up evening meal and then woke to find it labouring for breath, was dead before I could get it back to be vet (within an hour). Was a real heart rending experience after all the time and care I'd put into caring for and helping the little skink recover and grow strong, even the vet said he was thriving not long before he took a turn for the worse and I'd become very fond the little guy who had become very tame.

Autopsy showed massive bacterial load in bloodwork (all germs from original injuries caused called by cat), also found an abscess inside body cavity that had been a reserviour for bacteria. Nasty antibiotic resistant bacteria on cat claws and in cat's mouths.

My elderly mother found this out too when her Siamese suddenly turned psycho and attacked her ankle one day, took over 12 months to finally get rid of the infection in her leg and several weeks in hospital on ultra strong antibiotic drips..

I'd be seeking a second opinion from a vet in a different practice - at least

Last edited:
I definately will be... i dont know if it helps that their wasnt any pubcture wounds or severe damage? Just torn up scales... aahhh this is horrible. Is their anything i can do?

I definately will be... i dont know if it helps that their wasnt any pubcture wounds or severe damage? Just torn up scales... aahhh this is horrible. Is their anything i can do?

The little skink had been bitten/clawed in the jaw and one eye. Lost the eye, and never was able to eat solid food afterwards.

No puncture wounds - your girl might be OK, are you keeping butadiene on the injuries and giving dilute butadiene baths (I was told enough drops to make the water look like weak tea) and once a day while the injuries were "healing". The iodine kills the bacteria on the surface.

Last edited:
No :/ but ill definately be doing it now. The scales arnt completely covering so if i soak it it might seep in and do some good....

No :/ but ill definately be doing it now. The scales arnt completely covering so if i soak it it might seep in and do some good....
.... don't let her injest the dilute Betadiene wash solution. ( I was instructed by my vet to soak 20 minutes or longer each time).

Betadiene is also available as a spray on as well. Might be easier to apply to a snake who is a bit wrigglely. I found the little skink accepted being bathed very readily and I used a soaked strip of paper towel to apply the butadiene bathing solution to this injuries , was a very gentle way of doing it and avoided putting his head into the bathing solution. (was scared he'd try to drink it.)

Worth getting hold of some Iodosorb Gel (is expensive but is applied very sparingly and so a little tube goes a very long way - community nurses sware by the stuff for treating ulcers, surgical wounds and other open wounds) see http://www.brightsky.com.au/BrightSkyProducts/IodosorbOintmentTube1.aspx , best to put a water resistant barrier film dressing over it to keep the wound moist and keep environmental germs out , something like Opsite Flexigrid Barrier Dressings - http://www.brightsky.com.au/BrightSkyProducts/OpsiteFlexigridApplicationDressing.aspx or Hydrofilm Plus Barrier Island Dressings http://www.brightsky.com.au/BrightSkyProducts/HydrofilmPlusSelf-AdhesiveTransparentDressing.aspx , these will not restrict her and quite conforming to body movements.
An alternative to Iodosorb Gel is Inodine (an iodine based dressing) see http://www.brightsky.com.au/BrightSkyProducts/InadineNon-AdherentPVPIodineDressing1.aspx , again community nurses sware by this too (nneds to have a barrier dressing over it too.

Even if you don't use these on your girl, they are handy to include in your household First Aid Chest IMO.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
This is why i dont like cats... they hunt and kill anything that moves...

This is why i dont like cats... they hunt and kill anything that moves...
IMO the only good cat is a dead one.

Noxious villainous vermin every single one of them and need to be rendered extinct in Australia by being exterminated.

She has shed most of her body. But none around the injury.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO the only good cat is a dead one.

Noxious villainous vermin every single one of them and need to be rendered extinct in Australia by being exterminated.

I dont hate cats. But im definately not fond. They are my girlfriends... and honestly its only one of them that is a real terror.

- - - Updated - - -

So turns out she had some really weird pre shed then shed her whole body in one piece.... this is her neck now.View attachment 313627
suggestions?

Quite normal for the area around the wound to stay unshed - it will clean up once the scab is ready to come off. Snakes usually go into shed mode repetitively until they are clear of external inhibitors to their movement. Sounds like all is fine.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back