Is there an APS cooking thread ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

Banned
Reaction score
Well , just in case there isn't .

Here's a post and recipy to get one started.

I bought a u-beaut Kenwood Chef mixer for my wife for Xmas and it came with 2 add on accessories - a mincer kit and an icecream / sorbet maker accessory kit (free offers direct from Kenwood).

We've discovered how much nicer home made icecreams and sorbets can be, and they are incredibly easy to make yourself using all natural ingredients and in the flavours of choice.

So far we've made a wonderful delux chocolate icecream , which was to die for, very reminiscent of chocolate cornettos, and a pineapple - orange sorbet from Golden Circle pineapple pieces and syrup in the can & fresh juiced oranges (had to sieve the pureed pineapple and orange juice to get rid the fibrous junk) , and yesterday a sorbet made from Golden Circle Mango Nector and lime juice and a dash of vodka (delicious) , easiest recipy so far too - just chilled limes juiced and chilled mango nector and a little sugar and dash of vodka , a bit of a whisk with the stick mixer / blender gadget (was a freebie from FlyBuys) and then churned in the freezing / churning vessel and into the deep freeze overnight.

Here's the recipy for the Mango Nector sorbet - I simply squeezed 2 limes (not worth the bother to make such a small volume of sweetened lime juice).

Attachments

• sorbet - mango nectar x.doc
    251.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Why? Because there was no heat involved?

Sounds awesome Kingofnobbys.
My partner and I were in Costco yesterday drooling over the thought of getting a soft serve making machine......
I think now, we need to go get one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my wife a huge Kenwood Chef mixing machine for Xmas and it came withsome free offers at the time (sweeteners to encourage buyers like me - an icecream / sorbet making kit and a mincing kit (attached to the mixer in a very cleavour way = I have to admit the range of addons and attachments for the Chefseries were a strong selling point for me and the way it is all engineered seems very good).

Already made a to die for homemade delux icecream (was wonderful and tasted much the same as a chocolate Cornetto.

We've also made a a sweet strawberry sorbet (my wife loves strawberries almostas much as she loves chocolate) , a pineapple - orange sorbet (bit of workinvolved screening off the fibrous stuff prior to churning/freezing and it was delicious (our first attempt at sorbet making).

Yesterday we made a mango nector sorbet (much easier , just used the juice of 2chilled limes, and some Golden Circle Mango Nector and a bit of sugar and adash of vodka (keeps the ice crystal small and helps keep the sorbet scoopable once frozen .... there you go , you never knew that hey, I know I didn't).

Recipies I followed were gleaned from a Google search and are a follows :

Mango Nector Sorbet
4 C Golden Circle Mango Nector (chilled)
1/4 C sugar
juice of 2 chilled limes
1 tbs vodka

Whisk the above together in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
Churn in freezing bowl for 25 minutes on low speed.
Transfer the partly frozen churned mix (will be like a slushy) into a suitable container and into freezer o/night.
Enjoy.

Strawberry Sorbet
1 pound of ripe strawberries (hulled)
1/2 C sugar
pinch of salt
1.5 tsp of cornflower mixed in 1.5 tsp cold water (to smooth)
4 tbs of lemon juice

Blitz the strawberries to make puree.
Heat pureed strawberries and sugar and salt in saucepan to make just simmering syrup.
Add cornstarch mix and lemon juice to syrup and mix to make uniform , then chill in fridge for 2 hours.
Once chilled churn in freezing bowl for 25mins on low speed.
Transfer the partly frozen churned mix (will be like a slushy) into a suitable container and into freezer o/night.
Enjoy.

Pineapple - orange Sorbet
2 large tins of Golden Circle Pineapple thins or pieces in syrup (no addedsugar version)
1/2 C water combined with 1/2 C sugar (simple syrup)
2 C of orange (the segments) - can add more.
finely chopped zest of 2 oranges
1 tbs lemon juice

Blitz the pineapple and syrup from can and oranges to make break up cells and screen off the fibrous stuff .
Create simple syrup by bringing water to a simmer and adding sugar to it to dissolve.
Add hot syrup to pineapple - orange puree and add lemon juice , mix and then chill in fridge for 2 hours.
Once chilled , add zest and churn in freezing bowl for 25mins on low speed.
Enjoy.

Delux Chocolate Icecream
3/4 C sugar
1 C milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
3 egg yokes lightly whisked
60g dark chocolate (from an eating block)
600ml thickened cream
1 tsp vanilla essence

Combine sugar, milk, salt and cocoa in a saucepan and bring to simmer and mix constantly using a wooden spoon to combine and dissolve.
Gradually add coco mix the whisked egg yokes stirring constantly (about 1/2 Cat first) then return eggy coco mix to saucepan and simmer til til thickenedBUT DO NOT BOIL.
Then dissolve dark chocolate in the mix and chill for 2 hours in fridge.
Add thickened cream and vanilla essence to chilled mix using whisker attachment and mix to aerate and combine thoughly.
Churn in freezing bowl for 25mins on low speed.
Transfer the partly frozen churned mix (will be like a soft serve) into asuitable container and into freezer o/night.
Enjoy.

More to come .... I also bake family pies (meat, fish and berry pies) and home made deserts, and I'd love to share more of my recipies).

Made a quadrupal choc cheesecake for my wife today. She's a real chocoholic and I know she loves my version of this decadent treat - much better than buying her a box of chocs or a big Easter Egg.

[h=1]Quadruple chocolate cheesecake [/h]Ingredients
serves 8

• plain chocolate biscuits ( whole packet of Chocolate Ripple Biscuits )
  • 80g butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup cold tap water
  • 5 teaspoons gelatine crystals
  • 500g cream cheese, softened (Philadephia block)
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • block of white cooking chocolate, melted
  • block of dark cooking chocolate, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups thickened cream, whipped
  • block of milk eating chocolate, grated
  • cocoa powder, to serve

note 1 :1 sashe of gelatine= 3 tspn
note 2 :600g thickenedcream tub = 2 cups
[h=2]Method[/h]1.Grease and line a 24cm (base) spring-form pan. Process biscuits in afood processor to fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl. Add melted butter. Stir untilwell combined. Use your fingertips to press into base of prepared pan.Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
2.Place water into a heatproof microwave safe bowl. Sprinkle overgelatine. Stand for 1 minute. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH (100%) power for 20to 40 seconds or until gelatine dissolves. Set aside for 15 minutes.
3.Using "Mr Buzzy" (with whisker attachment on electric stick mixer), beat 1/2 the cream cheese, sugar and milk until smooth. Stir in gelatine add ...btm layer : 250g cream cheese + melted block of dark choc stir together melted choc , then ?C icing sugar , ? C milk,? Ccream,+ ? dissolved gelatine in H2O, fold 1/2 the cream through dark chocolate mixture.
4.Pour dark chocolate mixture over biscuit base. Freeze for 10 minutesor until firm to the touch.
5.Repeat 3 this time ... top layer: 250g cream cheese +melted white choc stir together melted choc , then ? C icing sugar , ? C milk,? C cream,+ ? dissolved gelatine in H2O, fold the last half through dark chocolate mixture.
6.Carefully spread white chocolate mixture over dark. Cover.Refrigerate overnight.
7.Release sides of pan. Place cheesecake onto a serving platter.Sprinkle with grated milk chocolate. Dust with cocoa. Cut into slices with awarm knife. Serve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back