Good read about carpets.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primo

Reaction score
I have no rights to this link and am posting for education/informational purposes.

The study is a nice read, and limits scientific verbiage to a minimum.

Though I'm from the US. I often read other media that compliments the folks from OZ on their behavior toward certain species of snakes.

I have been told here on this forum that is not always the case, but it appears in general that you guys have done an excellent job living with and understanding the carpet pythons.

This study has some interesting data.

http://www.kingsnake.com/aho/pdf/menu3/rickshine/largesnakes.pdf

I printed it off a few days ago but haven't read it yet, but it certainly looks interesting. Rick Shine's field studies have taught us heaps about the lives of our critters...

Jamie

I read it when it was first published Jamie. It isn't a bad read and they came up with some interesting results. That's if the results are genuine. Not saying they aren't but I'm a little sceptical of paper's done by Rick's students. I think you'll find Rick doesn't actually do much field work at all, he comes up with ideas and farms it out to his students.

I assisted John Webb and Rick with Webb's paper on Broadheads (bungaroides) which (without saying too much) was absolute ********. Nothing against Rick or John but I suppose they had to write up a paper with results favourable to their endeavour as John had a lot riding on it and ongoing funding. Neither of them had ever caught a Hop before they decided to do the paper and believe it or not neither had had any field experience with them or knew anything about their ecology before they met me. John went on to write a couple more suspect papers on hops regarding "reasons" for their allegedly declining status even though (as I demonstrated to them first hand at the time) their numbers had recovered to a very secure level after NSW NPWS introduced blanket legislation protecting wild populations in the 1970's.

George.

Last edited:
I read it when it was first published Jamie. It isn't a bad read and they came up with some interesting results. That's if the results are genuine. Not saying they aren't but I'm a little sceptical of paper's done by Rick's students. I think you'll find Rick doesn't actually do much field work at all, he comes up with ideas and farms it out to his students.

I assisted John Webb and Rick with Webb's paper on Broadheads (bungaroides) which (without saying too much) was absolute ********. Nothing against Rick or John but I suppose they had to write up a paper with results favourable to their endeavour as John had a lot riding on it and ongoing funding. Neither of them had ever caught a Hop before they decided to do the paper and believe it or not neither had had any field experience with them or knew anything about their ecology before they met me. John went on to write a couple more suspect papers on hops regarding "reasons" for their allegedly declining status even though (as I demonstrated to them first hand at the time) their numbers had recovered to a very secure level after NSW NPWS introduced blanket legislation protecting wild populations in the 1970's.

George.

Interesting insight.

Is there anything specific that you'd agree or disagree with?

I was rather pleased to hear these snakes were thriving, but maybe that is not the case.

What a shame if the results of the study were skewed or completely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back