Bearded dragon buying help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisyiscrazy

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to bearded dragon and have decided to buy one. I've recently saw one for sale on gumtree with his enclosure. Ive asked the owner what breed he is but she said she just got him from the pet shop so she doesn't know. He's 4 months old and approximately 10cm long. Would he be a Pygmy or a stunted central/eastern? She said they only feed him crickets as well. Would this be a problem as he gets older,?If I buy him I'm gonna start him on greens

Jess

Hmm does seem a little small. I have babies and they are 14cm long at 8 weeks. Also should be eating veges too.

First make sure you know what he is (pygmy or runt of the litter of ordinary beardies).

Second make sure the person selling has a bonefide keepers' permit (if not walk away as it's likely wild caught).

Third make sure it's eating well (insects of appropropriate size and veg and greens and softened pellets maybe) and has been given Ca and Vits.

Lastly check out how it moves in an enclosure and maybe on the floor.

Maybe a vet check.

Hey , even if it's undersized for it's age and maybe the runt of the litter it can still be fabulous family pet and with a little love and TLC and a good diet it can still grow to be nearly as big as it's luckier siblings are and you'll know you are giving it a good life.

You're better off buying from a breeder , but sometimes people find they loose interest in the pet or can't commit the time they need when hatchies , juveniles (multiple feeds per day) and they'll sell the pet and it's kit so you get a good buy.
If it's not been getting greens, it can be handfed them to get it to associate the greens with being food and a little perseverance will eat them OK.

Best advice I was given before I got my first lizard was DO YOUR HOMEWORK and PREPARE EVERYTHING you need before you get one.

If it's the one I saw on GumTree , there is a lot wrong with that enclosure , lighting, bedding being the most obvious (these are easy fixed).

Last edited:
Hi I'm new to bearded dragon and have decided to buy one. I've recently saw one for sale on gumtree with his enclosure. Ive asked the owner what breed he is but she said she just got him from the pet shop so she doesn't know. He's 4 months old and approximately 10cm long. Would he be a Pygmy or a stunted central/eastern? She said they only feed him crickets as well. Would this be a problem as he gets older,?If I buy him I'm gonna start him on greens

Jess

10cm is very small,but it depends on what breed he is,where-abouts are you? it might help identify the variety (did you know there are 8 types of beardie? ) can you show pics of the lizard and the enclosure? do you know what sort of lights he has?
The fact he has only eaten crix is not a problem but should have been fed veges ,(I feed my hatchies veges from day 1) but better late than never,as they get older they eat more veg and less live food anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back