How do you prepare for freighting hatchling pythons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris82

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

How do you prepare and package hatchling pythons for freight?

are there rules and regulations regarding this subject?

any other information you'd like to share would be appreciated?

thanks Chris

Hard plastic 6 pack esky with holes drilled in it, snake in cloth bag, use foam packing peanuts/beads or shredded newspaper to surround snake inside box for shock absorption etc..
Tape and or screw the lid down....

Make booking for the flight by email and you'll recieve the booking details by attachment in email, you will need the AWB number for when lodging the package, you will also need your drivers licence as proof of ID when lodging or picking up.
Receiver will also need AWB number upon collection.

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing at the moment with my 3yo GTP, Im moving from Brisbane to Sydney later this month, how do you keep a python at the right temperature for the entire journey?

Hard plastic 6 pack esky with holes drilled in it, snake in cloth bag, use foam packing peanuts/beads or shredded newspaper to surround snake inside box for shock absorption etc..

Make booking for the flight by email and you'll recieve the booking details by attachment in email, you will need the AWB number for when lodging the package, you will also need your drivers licence as proof of ID when lodging or picking up.

Thanks swampie. That's given me a better idea. What's the AWB number?

The AWB number is the number you receive when you get your booking itinerary report from Qantas.......you will need this number when you lodge the animal or if you are collecting an animal....

- - - Updated - - -

I might ad, when making the booking, remember to supply Qantas with receivers phone number and email as well as you own obviously, by supplying emails you will get live updates by email as to when your package has been accepted by Qantas, loaded on the plane and unloaded, collected by receiver and everything in between...

Can someone point me in the right direction for booking reptiles onto flights online with Qantas starting from scratch? Do I first register with them online and make an account first?

Hey Grunter, no you don't have to setup an account with them.

Just email them at [email protected] with the heading "Livestock Booking Request" or something similar, then type out something along these lines..

Hi guys,

I'd like to book a non-venomous reptile on a flight from Brisbane to Sydney on Tuesday 31st of March 2015. Would prefer a departure time of around 2:00 pm.

Package will measure approximately 20x20x20 cm and weigh no more than 1 kg.

Sender : Jo Blow, ph 12345678, email [email protected]

Receiver : Jane Doe, ph 87654321, email [email protected]

Kind regards,

Jo Blow

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing at the moment with my 3yo GTP, Im moving from Brisbane to Sydney later this month, how do you keep a python at the right temperature for the entire journey?

I moved to brisbane from victoria last yeah and brought my darwin python up with me. I packed her myself in a small bag, with shredded newspaper. Zipped her and tied the bag, put her in a click clack. The put the click clack in a foam box and packed it full of foam packing beans. I didn't use any heating because the area of the plane was temp controlled. But you can get those hot packs that stay hot for like 3 hours. I think you can get them at chemists or sports places. So get one of those, tape it to the inside of the box and you're good to go.

No need for a heat pack, in fact a heat pack may do more harm than good.
It's easier to kill a snake by overheating than if the snake was a little cool for a period of time.
Click clacks aren't very crush resistant either, try standing on one, when packing your animals you have to think of the worst so that is why I use the eskies, they can take quite a load on top of them without being crushed and can be dropped from a height without busting open. Packing beads or shredded paper takes care of shock absorption as well as extra insulation on top of that which is provided by the esky itself.

Please note, attached are the IATA regulations for most animals on this forum.

Attachments

• 1902_001.pdf
    361.3 KB · Views: 18
The AWB number is the number you receive when you get your booking itinerary report from Qantas.......you will need this number when you lodge the animal or if you are collecting an animal....

- - - Updated - - -

I might ad, when making the booking, remember to supply Qantas with receivers phone number and email as well as you own obviously, by supplying emails you will get live updates by email as to when your package has been accepted by Qantas, loaded on the plane and unloaded, collected by receiver and everything in between...

I'm pretty sure, but I'll stand corrected that AWB stands for Australian Waybill Number (?) or similar. Don't stress about the strict terminology though just ensure u have that number handy.

Last edited:
One thing to note that the fabric bags need to be goose-neck tied also make sure the container is rigid plastic if plastic is used. For Bookings please either call 131213 or preferred is to go to www.qantasfreight.com.au

- - - Updated - - -

The AWB will start with 081-xxxxxxxx (8 numbers)

- - - Updated - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back