Woma in Display Cage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digizure

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals, I am considering moving my Womas into display cages and I wanted to know what substrate do you recommend using? I will be feeding my Womas in their cages so the substrate must be safe to use, in case they swallow some of it during feeding.

Also, if you have pictures of your Womas in your cage, please feel free to post them! :) Thank you.

The safest substrates would be newspaper or artificial grass e.g AstroTurf.

I have my guy on sand he has been on it since I got him a few years ago. I feed him in his cage and although he does ingest a little bit of sand he has never had an issue. I do make sure the prey item isn't wet, he will also take food from tongs so the food doesn't actually lay on the sand for a long period of time but it does get dragged across it when he constricts. To maintain sand you can do spot cleans and every so often completely replace it. Sand also gets in runners and makes the worst sound.

I have moved my other reptiles onto astroturf and it looks great and is easier to clean/manage. Spot cleans, F10 or other disinfectants can be used on it unlike sand, in between being able to take it out and soak/hose it down.

Both look awesome so it's up to you what kind of look you are going for. If you want pure aesthetics without worrying about how much it takes to maintain go for sand. If you want something that's easy to clean and still looks good although isn't true to locality I would go for astroturf.

Hope that helps :)

Here is my woma set up. He is on crushed walnut but I feed him outside his cage.
If you are dead set on feeding inside the cage then I astro turf would be your best bet for practicality and looks.
DSCN0489.jpg

What do you guys think of cypress mulch? I don't like astroturf because I'd have to replace the whole thing and get it washed. That'd something I'll have to do 2x a week maybe. I would like to spot clean if possible.

I use OzPet for mine, it can burrow if it wants, its easily spot cleaned or replaced, cheap, wont get swallowed with food; and as its a woma there isn't an issue with moisture build up affecting it in the enclosure...

Astro turf is easy. Spot clean with vinegar. Have 2 pieces so you can just switch them over. Hose off dirty one using vinegar or bleach. Leave to dry. Easiest substrate I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back