Breeding questions!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to read peoples responses. I have the exact same questions I also need answered..

Get the book Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons by Mike Swan. It will answer any question you could ever have...

http://tinyurl.com/pokakvk

Also articles by Doc Rock will help as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the book Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons by Mike Swan. It will answer any question you could ever have...

http://tinyurl.com/pokakvk

Also articles by Doc Rock will help as well.

What he said....

Mikes book along with 'The Complete Carpet Python' are almost considered 'bibles' and will provide you a very good basis to plan your breeding, as well as an excellent reference base to refer back to when things don't seem to be going right.

Will cost you some $$ up front for the books....but they are an excellent foundation on which to base a breeding future on. Get them and settle down for a good read!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe males are generally the one's that go on the hunt for females in the wild so I usually put my male geckos in with my female geckos. Unless I have aggressive males, in which case even touching them is stressful enough. I prefer to put the female in with the male and watch intently (with a ruler at hand) in case the male starts to behave aggressively toward her.
Also my reptiles start to brumate by themselves by plugging up the access hole to their hides so I start to feed them less around this time. When the males start noticeably pressing against the tub (means they are on the prowl), I start making introductions.

I believe males are generally the one's that go on the hunt for females in the wild so I usually put my male geckos in with my female geckos. Unless I have aggressive males, in which case even touching them is stressful enough. I prefer to put the female in with the male and watch intently (with a ruler at hand) in case the male starts to behave aggressively toward her.
Also my reptiles start to brumate by themselves by plugging up the access hole to their hides so I start to feed them less around this time. When the males start noticeably pressing against the tub (means they are on the prowl), I start making introductions.

Not bad advice, but she was specifically asking about coastal pythons.

I introduced my male to the female in her enclosure previously. The reasoning I found behind it which made sense suggested that the female carries the burden of ovulation, mating and carrying eggs to term which takes a large toll on the body over an extended period of time. It would take out adding stress to the process by removing her from her environment where she has scented and felt secure (we usually expect time for a snake to settle into a new environment when we 1st bring them home and adding the female to the males enclosure has the ability to remove or delay that secure feeling). The male on the other hand has related stresses for a shorter period and does not have the toll of carrying eggs so it would be a reasonable assumption that he can afford to be more tolerable.
Sorry about the long post on just 1 point but I thought it best to explain some reasoning. Bare in mind I am by no means an expert and there will be differing of opinions out there but this is what I guaged my attempts at breeding on which successfully resulted in a clutch of eggs. 1 thing that sticks in mind when researching information was that there are many different ways to go about the breeding process and no singular way is the only correct way (there are many ways to skin a cat as the saying goes). I did buy the book Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons and it is great reference book but I did find I still had a few questions that it didn't answer so I picked others brains like you are doing now after all the book contains experienced breeders information just in written form. I would highly recommend it to have on hand for quick reference. Good luck if choose to pair them this year, it is definitely a great experience to witness.

Would anybody have any tips on breeding/incubating womas?
I'd like to try to breed my girl one day but am not overly confident in incubating the eggs myself. How difficult is it and what are the survival chances of the eggs/ babies if I were to leave to eggs with her?
and also could you breed an Uluru woma with say a tanami or would it have to be another uluru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back