Can i take my carpet python outside?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrodmclean

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a Coastal Carpet Python and i was wondering if i can take it out the back? could he pick up parasites out on the grass?

Just exercise common sense and you should be OK. As long as you haven't had any sprays or such in the area and you keep a close eye out for predators (Crows, hawks, cats etc) then its fine.

i hope so.. haha. i take out all my reptiles onto the hot concrete to explore my backyard and soak up some sun every nice sunny day!

If you have a dog try and keep the Coastal away from any area where the dog regularly defecates, i have heard arguments for and against the possibility of reptiles getting intestinal worms from dog poop, but i suppose everytime you take a reptile out to the back or front yard there is the chance of contamination from a wide variety of wild and domestic animals, like Rob (SniperCap) said just exercise common sense, and also keep a watch out for birds especially the butcher birds that like to dive bomb the snakes. :) ..........................Ron

It's absolutely okay to let him stretch out on the grass. Obviously if you have dogs or anything lock them up first to avoid any accidents. Just keep an eye on him and he should be perfectly fine :D

All the advice above is excellent!

UV-A and UV-B is essential to our herps health :) the best source of these rays are from our friendly sun (as unfortunately UV bulbs are actually quite varying in their reliability and short in life-span). So supervised sunning of your coastal carpet is an excellent way to contribute to his/her health.

Whenever you introduce an animal to the outside world (whether they be a dog, bird or reptile) you increase the chance of parasite infestation, so just make sure you're up to date on your worming, keep an eye out for any sores (e.g. from mites) and make sure you keep the enclosure nice and hygienic. This way you and your coastal can enjoy the sun together with minimum risk and maximum benefits :).

All the advice above is excellent!

UV-A and UV-B is essential to our herps health :) the best source of these rays are from our friendly sun (as unfortunately UV bulbs are actually quite varying in their reliability and short in life-span). So supervised sunning of your coastal carpet is an excellent way to contribute to his/her health.

Whenever you introduce an animal to the outside world (whether they be a dog, bird or reptile) you increase the chance of parasite infestation, so just make sure you're up to date on your worming, keep an eye out for any sores (e.g. from mites) and make sure you keep the enclosure nice and hygienic. This way you and your coastal can enjoy the sun together with minimum risk and maximum benefits :).

UV is not needed for pythons also highly unlikely they will pick up mites from being outside and worming is not needed unless testing reveals parasites.

Last edited:
UV is not needed for pythons also highly unlikely they will pick up mites from being outside and worming is not needed unless testing reveals parasites.

What I have been taught is that it is a common myth that nocturnal snakes do not require any UV. Their requirements of UVA/UVB are, granted, considerably lower than that of say, a diurnal lizard. They do not require daily exposure to UVA/UVB. However, UVB is important to promote Vitamin D metabolism, helping prevent conditions like metabolic bone disorder while UVA is important for the promotion of natural behaviours, such as feeding and breeding.

I may be wrong, but this is what I have been taught by reptile vets.

Which reptile vets taught you this?

You realise that pythons get their D3 from consuming whole prey items?

Never used uv lights, not required, Ramsayi knows whay he is talking about

I have never used any source of uv for any of my snakes as they simply don't really benefit from it. Of course, getting uv DOES have its benefits but for a snake it doesn't really do anything for them. As stated about they get all their vitamins, minerals etc from eating whole prey items.

Lizards on the other hand do require it to metabolize said vitamins and minerals.
Most people just use a uv light or a normal fluro light for viewing benefits xD

- - - Updated - - -

Will add that I have never seen a snake in captivity or the wild that have had MBD due to lack of uv. In lizards it's quite (sadly) common as people have the wrong UV. But I haven't seen it with snakes ever from lack of uv.

- - - Updated - - -

Also wo the OP I will add that letting your snakes out on the grass can stimulate them to take a crap from the moving around and stretching out. So it makes for cage cleaning less of a hassle because they do their business on the grass!

My I took my darwin out on the grass yesterday but then she got a little too adventurous and I cut play time short. Which she obviously didnt like because as soon as I put her back she promptly upended her water bowl in protest lolo.

There is still the old theory floating around that lack of UV contributed to DPS in Diamond pythons. It is now pretty well understood to be incorrect with evidence now suggesting that it is more to do with heating regime over time than UV.

e9c328c373ed36925e4fe744b9356c33.jpg

This is my jungle shootin the breeze! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back