questions about heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simboni

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Some questions about heating for a reptile, answers would be great

1. How does one know how high the wattage should be on a heat lamp? I know a care sheet might read '75w', but surely it varies depending on the height or size of the enclosure?

2. Do you only use heat lamps for an animal that is arboreal or semi arboreal, and use heat pads and cords for those that are terrestrial?

3. Do you need heating for the animal at night, and why does this have to be a special night light as opposed to a normal heat lamp?

4. Why do some setups need both a heat pad and a heat lamp?

Thanks!

All my skinks (BTS and EWS) and dragons (CBD) have access to heat day and night , not just the heat lamps, but also heat pads under their hides and all seem to really enjoy their nice warm hides especially now it's getting cool at night.

I run the skinks' heatpads at 34[SUP]o[/SUP]C and the dragons' at 37[SUP]o[/SUP]C on a 24/7 basis. The heat lamps (spot-lamps - I buy from Bunnings) and UV CFBs UVB200s for the dragons and UVB150s for the skinks) 14hr per day. I don't use MVBs, some people sware by their MVBs (provide bright sunlightlike lighting, UVA, UVB and heat , but seem very hit and miss quality-wise).

A lot of people don't provide heat at night for their lizards , but I can't see the harm , lizards can digest their food better while warm . My lizards have the option to move to a cool place in their enclosures overnight if they choose to. And provided the heat pad is sandwiched between tiles and controlled by a thermostat it's very safe and cheap to run (I use 5W and 7W heat pads).

Heat lamp or MVB wattage depends on the height of the enclosure (that info is on the supplier/manufacturer websites or they can suggest a wattage to suit your lizards and enclosure size and build). I do tend to up the wattage on the spot-lamps a little in winter if my lizards are still active and feeding.

Can't comment on nocturnal species requirements - suggest you get hold of the appropriate husbandry guides for the species you have or will be getting or ask the breeder for advise.

Last edited:
1 Wattage of any heat source depends on what temp you are trying to achieve and where your hotspot will be in relation to its distance from the heat source, venting etc.
2. No. Use whatever heat type you prefer unless there is a preference for your animal for overhead/ground heating. I use heat globes in some enclosures, radiators in others with the same species. My personal preference is to use over head heating rather than floor heating though my racks I use heat cables.
3. Animals under 2 years old I personally do not winter so at times I do heat the enclosures/racks at night. Other people will winter all animals and provide no heat at all at night. Again this is down to your preference and meeting the needs of your animal.
4. Can't answer other than to speculate as I don't use a set up as you suggest. Pads maybe to give a base ambient temperature suitable to a specific species of animal while the lamp will likely be to provide a hot spot.

Everything you need to know about correct husbandry, temperature needs etc will be available from the breeder of your animals, reference books or on line.
Take into account your location and the animal you want to keep, requirements for keeping a Diamond Python in Victoria for example may differ to those in a state with a warmer/cooler climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back