legalities

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rowie97

Reaction score
I see posts on aussie fb pages and i want to know the legality of catching wild snakes and keeping them as pets? Im in NSW

Well in Victoria you need a controllers license to keep/sell wild animals!

I see posts on aussie fb pages and i want to know the legality of catching wild snakes and keeping them as pets? Im in NSW

in Qld you need a damage mitigation licence to move wild reptiles from point to point - it is illegal to touch a wild snake without this. under this licence you also need to document all movement and lodge those movements to Dept of EPH and is against the law to keep any reptiles unless injured and only then they are to go to the relivant people to get them back to fit for the wild. To obtain the damage mitigation licence you will have completed a first aid cert, venomous snake hanlding course and also hold a permit for such animals as well - not sure how it is done in NSW but would assume it would be something similar to these requirements

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, and its not something I`ve ever looked into because I`ve never wanted to do it, in NSW its totally illegal. There may be a way its possible to do, but I doubt it.

Illegal with the possible exception of rescuing an injured snake or lizard to take it to a vet and maybe to care for it while it's being treated (under a vet's supervision), recovering and rehabilitating.

I'm not sure if it's OK to keep a rescued reptile if it's disabled permanently - not able to provide for itself or defend itself - it's got to be better to give a disabled reptile the chance of a long and rich life as a pet (if you have the facilities and ability to do so) than to return it to wild only to fall prey to predators or starve.

Last edited:
It's also illegal in NSW to go out looking for wild reptiles unless you belong to a herpetological society and attend field trips. This includes disturbing habitat to find specimens to photograph.

George.

Its is also illegal to keep a disabled or permanently injured animal that can not returned to the wild. If an animal comes into care of a wildlife rehab group in nsw there are only two out comes returning it to the wild or death weather that be euthanasia or succumbing to its injuries or illness.

Also it is illegal to care for a reptile or animal unless you belong to one of these groups.

Cheers Jacob

Its is also illegal to keep a disabled or permanently injured animal that can not returned to the wild. If an animal comes into care of a wildlife rehab group in nsw there are only two out comes returning it to the wild or death weather that be euthanasia or succumbing to its injuries or illness.

Not really, looking at the fauna rehabilitation act it says that permission can be granted by the OEH to hold it in permanent care.

Also it is illegal to care for a reptile or animal unless you belong to one of these groups.

Cheers Jacob

Think you'll find most GOOD vets would be only to happy to examine and provide appropriate treatment (free of charge to the rescuer) if the rescuer is prepared to care for the injured animal and it's got a good prospect of surviving it's injuries and any subsequent illness.

Not every area has a local WIRES.

Surely it's better to keep a permanently disabled animal as a pet than to return it to the wild where it will suffer a miserable prolonged death or be taken by a predator because it's unable to defend itself or escape.

- - - Updated - - -

It's also illegal in NSW to go out looking for wild reptiles unless you belong to a herpetological society and attend field trips. This includes disturbing habitat to find specimens to photograph.

George.

A rule that is routinely ignored , even in nature reserves and national parks by many people (even adults).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back