Diamond python questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabulani

Reaction score
I bought a yearling diamond python as my first snake a few days ago and i have a couple of questions.
1. I had done some research prior and it mostly said to keep them at a 24-28 degree gradient but the breeder said i didn't need any heating besides a 7 watt heat mat only at night since i live in Sydney and diamonds are found there. Is this true?
2. The breeder also said that a 90Lx35Wx45H would be able to last its whole life. Is this also true and is this size too big for a yearling.

Thanks

1. I don't agree but then again I don't claim to be an expert. I don't give my diamonds any night time heat at all. 3-4 hours a day around 10am to 2pm. Hatchies and youngsters like yours I keep the room they are in heated to around 22-24 and provide them with a hot spot, (heat cables) for around 4hrs per day. If your home is particularly cold and you provide no heat during the day don't be surprised if the animal goes off his food and goes into brumation. Important that if you do provide a hot spot you also have a range of temperatures available through the enclosure so the animal can choose where it wants to be. (You will hear reference often made to cold end of the enclosure)

2. BS, In my opinion anyway. Might be ok for a yearling but an adult will want to climb. My adults are not big for the species but would be 6-7ft and weight around 3kg. They are housed in enclosures 120 wide X 60 deep X 180 high. Younger animals in 90 X 60 X 180. Maybe my enclosures would be considered to be too big.

Hi Jabulani,

You need a basking spot temp of 30-32 for 8hrs a day in summer, gradually reducing it to 2hrs a day in the middle of winter. They must get some heat at some stage through the day. No heating is needed at night at all, even in winter. I like to use globes controlled by a thermostat rather than mats.

The enclosure size you have mentioned does not even meet the legal minimum cage size for NSW. You need a cage more in the vicinity of 1200x600x600 to pass the minimum legal size but the sizes Pauls_Pythons mentioned are IMO better.
Do a search on here for the Code of Practise. Lots of info and you should find a link to the code.

Many people will keep their diamonds at different temps and for different hrs a day than I do. This is what works for me, others will have their own ideas. But what you were told by the breeder is completely wrong IMO.

Thanks for the replies. I will probably reduce my night time heating and buy a larger enclosure once my python is a bit larger ( its only about 75cm now)

- - - Updated - - -

One more question: my warmest temps are around 29 degrees and my python stays on the warm hide and barely moves. Are my temps too cool or is the hide just comfortable for him?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back